Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up after 5 to 6 hours during dream
OSCAR Data Analysis - Midnight Awakenings While Dreaming
Hey everyone,
So For the past 4 months pretty much every day I wake up after 5-6 hours of sleep. I always wake up dreaming about something, so it feels like I'm in the middle of a rem sleep cycle and I just wake up.
The oscar data I attached was for last night where after 5 hours of sleep I woke up in a similar fashion remembering a dream. I tried to fall back asleep for like 5-10 minutes but wasn't working, so that's when I turned off the machine.
I noticed at 6:14 I had my first AHI event which is close to the time I woke up. Does this mean the AHI is the thing that woke me up?
What does clear airway mean? Does that mean I had an AHI event during that time?
I also noticed I had some leak issues around that time so maybe that's why I had the AHI? Although I think some of the leak issues happened after I woke up since I was moving around and trying to adjust the mask to my face and towards 6:20 I took it off for a minute while the air was still running.
If anyone can help explain why I wake up with 5 to 6 hours of sleep every night, waking up while I am dreaming, I would appreciate it! Any thoughts for improving the situation would be nice too. I might talk to my doctor about increasing my pressure.
Thank you!
OSCAR snapshots:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/110cdeEMTzxOTz3ZX-veuxUuNzQWnxfL5?usp=sharing
Post Reply Post Reply
Waking up after 5 to 6 hours during dream
Hello,
I have OSA (around 16 AHI during sleep study) and I've noticed that for the past 4 months, I've been waking up around the 5 to 6 hour mark. I always wake up remembering a dream so it feels like I was just dreaming and then woke up during REM sleep. Does anyone have an advice on why this is happening or how I can solve this? Usually I try to fall backasleep but then my sleep is usually not that restful as I end up sleeping for an hour and then wake up again and so on. 
My AHI is pretty good usualy around 1 to 2 per night with the CPAP which is set at a pressure of 8. 
Would decreasing the pressure help? would increasing the pressure help? Is this something another person has experienced?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up after 5 to 6 hours during dream
Are you able to post your data using the Attachment feature? Follow the directions in the link below on
Organizing your graphs. Thanks!

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here you go!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It's hard to say if you are waking due to REM sleep.  I have the same issue during early morning hours, when REM sleep and dreams mostly occur.  I usually wake up during those dreams and unable to fall back asleep.

Is the chart you posted typical of most nights?  It looks pretty good, but you also show some mask leaks or mouth breathing (not enough to affect therapy or the machines ability to do its thing,) but maybe enough to wake you.  Look at the leak rate graph, see the spiky areas, that is mask movement.  The flatter tops could be mouth breathing.  

The one thing I can suggest is to turn the ramp off.  I doubt you are bothered by the pressure as it's constant all night, but you could try a little lower, maybe 7.6cm, keep EPR at 3.  If you start to see any increase in Obstructives, then you know you need to move it back up to 8cm.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 108 4 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 290 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 475 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 260 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.