Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up after REM
Waking up after REM
Less than a month CPAP user and I feel that my sleep is much better,
and I am having more dreams than before.
However, I "semi" wake up after the dreaming period. Is that normal or does it go away with time?
Thank you all for such wonderful advice, nice to see that I am not the only one with questions about the plastic elephant nose. But it is nice to see a great community behind the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up after REM
If we were weren't in a somewhat wakeful state at some point during or near the end of REM then we might not ever remember that we were dreaming since our memory system is shut down in our sleep. That is, however, an uneducated personal opinion based on something that I heard in a an intro psychology class many moons ago. Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up after REM
It could be something that will go away with time as you acclimate to therapy/normal sleep. Many people have trouble staying asleep through the night for the first few months after starting PAP therapy and many also report increased dreaming and better recollection of dreams - that being said, remembering dreams vividly and remembering more dreams could be a sign that you are waking up during REM rather than after. It could possibly indicate that the pressure setting is not adequate to prevent apneas during REM. (please pay extra special attention to the use of the words "could" and "possibly").

Are you waking up with every REM cycle (about 4 to 7 times a night)?
When you "semi" wake up are you at all out of breath or sweaty? Is your heart racing at all? If so, you should see your Doc right away. If not, you could give it a little while and see if the "semi" waking subsides. I would recommend getting a recording pulse oximeter just to be able to make sure you aren't having any desaturations.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SleepHQ O2 Ring Alarm waking me up MurrayApnea 1 163 Yesterday, 08:53 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 196 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 114 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 330 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 396 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 212 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 457 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.