Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up extremely bloated and full of air
RE: Waking up extremely bloated and full of air
There are over the counter pills to help pass gas.
Treating GERD or LRP wont stop the aerophagia. The reason for that is there is only one treatment for both callen Nissen Fundoplication, and aerophagia is a contraindication for the surgery.

Dunno about a pacemaker. But in any case I'd take an anti acid like Gaviscon before going to sleep.
The air might trick your stomach into producing acid and you might get issues in the futurethat you did not have before. Acid is secreted when the stomach gets stretched.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, yes for 15 years doctors chased levels and pressure and 35 masks. Ended up haveing a over sized epiglottis which was removed. Something to think about.
Post Reply Post Reply
DriverLou, sounds interesting, did that cure your aerophagia?

I tried sleeping with the philips respironics chinstrap yesterday to keep my mouth shut while sleeping... And believe me when I said that the result was horrible. That sure was a waste of money...
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought a chin strap too and only used it for one night. It might have been a cheap bad one as it did not help keep my mouth shut at all. Give the cervical collar a try? It serves to stop chin tuck which produces the OSAs and also helps towards keeping the mouth closed helping with leaks. For me, the whole dropped into place with mastering the tongue against the roof pallate trick.

This is as your obstructions are mostly clustered-a strong indication of positional obstructions. And these can be helped by all I have noted above, certainly in my own experience.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't read through this whole thread, but a few things that helped me:

I lowered my pressure from the recommended 8 down to 6. My AHIs are still under 3 even at this low setting. I use the EPR setting on my machine which reduces the pressure for out breaths. Now the aerophagia only seems to happen when I lay on my side, it will quickly wake me up and force me to lay on my back again. I'm also using Somnifix tape to keep my mouth closed. I'd like to find a side sleeping position that works. I might try a cervical collar at some point but for the time being I'm able to sleep and only wake up two or three times a night. Hopefully with time I'll sleep through the entire night!
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you see a sleep Doctor face to face, or do you just have study translated. I would say something is being overlooked. Just my .02 cents.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the surgery did help, this was only found as i was rolling foward foe Inspire treatment. If someone has bloating regularly, they should get checked.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Go2Sleep, You blow my mind with your numbers on paper, what with it 30-50AHI wow you look to have good team and know what talking about, but so congratulations on your progress, Nothing from me to add but Sorry on the bloatingn but with Guru's looking to be well on top of it Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the encouraging words ICEMAN! I thought I would just give an update on current settings, and what happened.

I estimate that 90% of my aerophagia is cured, I swallow way less air during nights nowadays. This may be a mix of the settings, preparations, and that my body may have adjusted to the therapy. So for all you aerophags out there: give it 3 months, your body may just stop swallowing air by itself.

These are my changes: 
  • I changed the settings to APAP 4-5.6 with EPR 1.
  • No Ramp
  • Using Philips Dreamwear nosemask, the machine is set to nasal pillows
  • Roll up a towel and fold it in half and place behind my back so I don't flop over on my back during sleep
  • Place a flat 5 cm pillow under my main pillow which is a IKEA memory foam pillow. This elevates it. (I am 195cm)
  • Do the tongue-trick before bed (Shut mouth, suck out all air, let the tongue stick to the roof of the mouth)
  • Sleep while hugging a small soft pillow to help keep the shoulder up.
I am consistently scoring under 3 AHI, with most nights being under 1. And I don't wake up super bloated any more. There might be a burp or fart, but nothing too brutal. I hope this can help any other aerophags out there. 

Also I wanna give a huge thank you to all the people in this thread who helped be reach this point. You are the best

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, go2sleep, you're the best!  Your post is extremely important because it gives encouragement to those of us who struggle to get the kind of numbers you're reporting and/or get a night of refreshing sleep.  Thanks for the update!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SleepHQ O2 Ring Alarm waking me up MurrayApnea 1 184 04-19-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 225 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 127 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 168 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 350 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 687 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 407 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.