Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up feeling short of breath
RE: Waking up feeling short of breath
(12-02-2019, 02:51 PM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: Do you have allergic rhinitis, nonallergic rhinitis or something else?

I honestly don't know.  Just assumed it's allergic rhinitis.

Went to an allergist once about 10 years ago, and she asked me how I was feeling.  "Fine."  Her: "really?? because your nose is probably 75% obstructed right now"

This is my normal, I suppose.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have allergic rhinitis, oral antihistamines will help. Both allergic and nonallergic rhinitis will be helped by topical antihistamines and oral decongestants. While oral decongestants are very effective and don't cause rebound nasal congestion like topical decongestants... they have their own problems.

This information is not medical advice, and for advice on your specific needs you should always consult your medical practitioner.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2019, 08:26 PM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: If you have allergic rhinitis, oral antihistamines will help. Both allergic and nonallergic rhinitis will be helped by topical antihistamines and oral decongestants. While oral decongestants are very effective and don't cause rebound nasal congestion like topical decongestants... they have their own problems.

This information is not medical advice, and for advice on your specific needs you should always consult your medical practitioner.

Forgot to mention: I take Zyrtec daily as well.  It helps control my mold and pet allergies, but doesn’t do a complete job of opening up my sinuses like the Afrin did.

Have a referral in to an ENT.

I also bit the bullet and ordered an Aircurve Vauto from Supplier #2.  Maybe the bilevel support will be able to provide enough air in thru my nose while not crushing my exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2019, 09:08 PM)geauxdbl Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 08:26 PM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: If you have allergic rhinitis, oral antihistamines will help. Both allergic and nonallergic rhinitis will be helped by topical antihistamines and oral decongestants. While oral decongestants are very effective and don't cause rebound nasal congestion like topical decongestants... they have their own problems.

Forgot to mention: I take Zyrtec daily as well.  It helps control my mold and pet allergies, but doesn’t do a complete job of opening up my sinuses like the Afrin did.

Have a referral in to an ENT.

I also bit the bullet and ordered an Aircurve Vauto from Supplier #2.  Maybe the bilevel support will be able to provide enough air in thru my nose while not crushing my exhale.
Initial setup to match the last chart here

mode: VAuto
EPAP min = 6.8
IPAP Max = 14
PS = 2

I'd expect EPAP min to come down and PS to increase
Post Reply Post Reply
An update: second night using BiPAP.  First night I was super excited to try using nasal pillows, and I was able to breathe really well through them... for about 45 minutes.  Then my sinuses closed up and I couldn't breathe.  Switched to the old Resmed F10 and Dreamwear Full Face masks, but both of them moved up and down on my face and leaked like crazy with the new inspiration pressure.  Really distracting, and overall a terrible night.

Happily the F&P Vitera mask I ordered the other day arrived yesterday, and I found that it handled the changing pressure well and did not leak.  I wore it for the first time last night and slept like the dead.  In a good way.  Woke up this morning to 9+ hours of machine use, a clear nose that I was breathing through, and a feeling of being well-rested, energetic, and generally happy about life.  

I know that there are good nights and bad nights, and this is not enough data to form an analysis from, but I couldn't resist sharing some good news.  

Link to OSCAR screenshot since my upload quota is full

Thanks everyone for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Progress report: overall, the experience of using the Aircurve VAuto is way better.  As others have said, it's like going from coach airfare to first class.  I'm feeling better and more refreshed in general.  Have struggled with it a few nights, including Saturday when I neglected to use my neti pot and woke up short of breath again due to nasal congestion.  I feel way better during the day -- but I'm tossing and turning a lot and probably wake up 3-4 times a night.

The FP Vitera full face mask is doing an admirable job of keeping my mouth closed and encouraging nasal breathing, and it seals well against my face.  That counts for a lot right there.

Now the really interesting part: I finally made it in to see the ENT today.  I have a moderately deviated septum and enlarged turbinates.  My tonsils and entire throat area are fine and unremarkable.  She said my nose on a good day only has 50% of the capacity of a normal person, and that I could consider surgery but it's ultimately my choice.  

Am now up to Pressure Support of 5.  Will keep at it.  Thanks to everyone on this forum for your help and insight.

My upload quota is full, so here are some screenshots hosted on dropbox:

Full night view 1

Full night view 2

Event Detail

Slightly flattening waveform before an arousal
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 4 72 40 minutes ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 285 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 157 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 395 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 471 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 259 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.