Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up hot and sweaty
Waking up hot and sweaty
Been a CPAP USER FOR five years. Recently got. phillips dreamstation.  Used it for a few month before sownloading the app. I only have two days of data so far. The AHI was 3.1 one night and 5.7 the next.  Im assuming the hot and sweaty wale ups are from apnea incidences.  Does this mean my pressure needs to be higher?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up hot and sweaty
My guess is that it is totally unrelated to apnea or CPAP but we won't know until we see some Sleepyhead data. I have the same problem and I have not been able to pin it down to CPAP or apnea. In my case I am guessing that it is an after effect of the radiation and Chemo that I have had.

It may mean merely that your room needs to be cooler or it needs more air circulation.

Get Sleepyhead ( it can be downloaded from the link at the top of the page) and upload some screenshots of the daily graphs.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Waking up with hot flashes and sweats can be a number of things.
In women, it can be hot flashes ... even if still having cycles.

It can be helpful to track that and discuss with your provider(s).

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to wake up hot and drenched in sweat.  But that was before CPAP and my AHI would have been much higher than your treated levels are.  I agree that you should look elsewhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
The location is Maryland in the summer. Hot and humid is the norm.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Purplejilly,

First thing is you are in MD and it's summer. Do you have AC? And is the AC working?

Second: The Dreamstation comes with a heated hose option. Did you get a heated hose and are you using it? If so, turn the heated hose off. Also what is the humidifier set to? And did your previous machine have a humidifier

Third: Are you close to menopause? Or past menopause?

Fourth: Did your previous machine record full data, including AHI? If so, what did your AHIs run on the previous machine?

Fifth: You write
(07-03-2017, 11:18 PM)Purplejilly Wrote: Been a CPAP USER FOR five years. Recently got. phillips dreamstation.  Used it for a few month before sownloading the app. I only have two days of data so far. The AHI was 3.1 one night and 5.7 the next.
If you've used the Dreamstation for a few months, then the data is there even if it's not visible in the app. The machine's LCD reports 1, 7, and 30 day average AHI's. That data is useful even if it's not very detailed. Can you tell us what the LCD says the 7 and 30 day AHIs are?

And do download SleepyHead if you've got a computer. The detailed data is worth it when you are troubleshooting.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2017, 09:16 AM)robysue Wrote: Purplejilly,

First thing is you are in MD and it's summer.  Do you have AC? And is the AC working?

* Oh yes - I keep my room at 65 for sleeping.

Second: The Dreamstation comes with a heated hose option. Did you get a heated hose and are you using it? If so, turn the heated hose off. Also what is the humidifier set to? And did your previous machine have a humidifier

*I have been using the heated hose, and I have the humidifier set to 5, yes previous machine had a humidifier.

Third: Are you close to menopause? Or past menopause?

* post menopause. No hot flashes anymore.

Fourth: Did your previous machine record full data, including AHI? If so, what did your AHIs run on the previous machine?

* No, previous machine did not record full data. in fact previous machine only recorded hours used

Fifth: You write
(07-03-2017, 11:18 PM)Purplejilly Wrote: Been a CPAP USER FOR five years. Recently got. phillips dreamstation.  Used it for a few month before sownloading the app. I only have two days of data so far. The AHI was 3.1 one night and 5.7 the next.
If you've used the Dreamstation for a few months, then the data is there even if it's not visible in the app. The machine's LCD reports 1, 7, and 30 day average AHI's. That data is useful even if it's not very detailed. Can you tell us what the LCD says the 7 and 30 day AHIs are?  

And do download SleepyHead if you've got a computer.  The detailed data is worth it when you are troubleshooting.

Okay - will download the sleepyhead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2017, 11:23 AM)Purplejilly Wrote:
(07-04-2017, 09:16 AM)robysue Wrote: Purplejilly,

First thing is you are in MD and it's summer.  Do you have AC? And is the AC working?

* Oh yes - I keep my room at 65 for sleeping.
Good. We can eliminate the bedroom temperature as a cause for your problems.

Quote:
robysue Wrote:Second: The Dreamstation comes with a heated hose option. Did you get a heated hose and are you using it? If so, turn the heated hose off. Also what is the humidifier set to? And did your previous machine have a humidifier

*I have been using the heated hose, and I have the humidifier set to 5, yes previous machine had a humidifier.
I would suggest turning the temperature on the heated hose down.  I'd also suggest seeing if turning down the humidifier to 4 helps without creating problems for your nose.  (Some noses, like mine, really want the humidifier set as high as possible; you'll know after one night how much turning down the humidifier is an issue.)  If you want lots of humidity, use a mode that allows you control the hose temperature and the humidity separately.  

When I got my dreamstation last winter, I appreciated the heated hose (for a while), but now that summer is here, I've turned the heat in the hose completely off.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Purplejilly,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I had an issue with waking up hot and sweaty and saw a doctor about it. He checked a number of things including my heart and finally did an upper GI. It turned out I have a hiatal hernia and acid reflux was the problem. An acid blocker - Pepcid stopped it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 116 10 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 262 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 193 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 309 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.