Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up in the middle of the night
Waking up in the middle of the night
am very grateful for this forum.  I've received some terrific advice and insight, and I feel very fortunate for this spot on the internet.

Thank you in advance for reading about my woes and for any feedback you may offer.  Attached is a screenshot from SleepyHead with my most recent "decent" night's sleep:

I have a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoStart w/ humidifier and P10 nasal pillows.  Default settings except ramp time set to zero.  For roughly five months I had really good success - sleeping through the night, no acid reflux, and the associated benefits you'd expect.  However, over the past 30 days or so, I've been waking up in the middle of the night, anywhere from 1am to 4am, with a feeling of being out of breath.  I've tried reseating the nasal pillows, and turning off and then back on the machine, but it's very rare where I can make use of the machine for the rest of the night.  Accordingly, I feel like I'm going backward - very tired during the day, occasional acid reflux, and very restless sleep without the machine, including snoring.  Everything I experienced before starting the therapy.

I just received replacement hardware - long hose, and the pillows/frame/short-hose assembly.  I clean the humidifier tank 3x/week, the hoses 2x/week, and I use wipes on the pillows nightly.  I replace the air filter every two weeks.

Any thoughts on what I can do to get back on track?  Thank you again for your time and energy.
-Jerry
In search of a good night's sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up in the middle of the night
G'day SelfLoadingCargo. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Looking at your chart there seems to be a lot of really heavy / ragged breathing from about 03:00 onwards. Your average respiration rate is also reasonably high and your inspiration / expiration times are a bit too close (exhaling is usually substantially longer than inhaling).

Can you zoom in on that ragged breathing - say a three minute sample around 03:45 - so we can see what's happening in more detail?

As a general rule your minimum pressure should be a bit less than the median reported by the machine, so try setting the minimum at 7.0. This will reduce the pressure swings which might also be disturbing you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the quick response and your expertise.

I'm having a hard time with the app right now - the daily chart now shows a different duration and only extends until 1:50am on 11/29. Let me try to reload the data and see if I can bring up the ragged breathing detail you mentioned. More soon...

I'll try raising the minimum pressure as well. After reading here about three weeks ago, I tried that before, but it seemed to make things worse. However, that was before I got my new hose & mask. Perhaps an important detail I failed to mention in my original post above - for the first few nights after receiving the new hardware, I slept great. But just as I was thinking the problem was solved, it started happening again.

Thanks again...more detail to follow soon.
-Jerry
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, shameful for an IT guy to admit, but I can't figure what happened to the data.  I reloaded from the SD card, and those few hours were still missing.  Sorry about that.

Attached are two shots from 11/26, showing the whole time period and a zoom when some of the trouble seemed to start.  I'll also post last night's brief window where I was able to connect without feeling like I was suffocating.
I've reached my attachment quota - guessing this related to my low post count.
Other variable...bought new pillows today.  Reaching at straws here.  Smile

Thanks again for the help.
-Jerry
Post Reply Post Reply
Data from last night...thanks in advance for your time and expertise.

[Image: jfiH7SQl.png]

[Image: tTwLNOGl.png]
-Jerry
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jerry,
This is one of those cases where a low AHI doesn’t equal a restful sleep.  Thinking-about

Your machine is set at the default range of 4-20 with an EPR of 3.  

It looks like the pressure is driven upwards by snores.  A low minimum pressure of 4 can feel suffocating, and the pressure zooms upward pretty quick.  Look at your graphs and take note where your 95% pressure is.  Your minimum should be approximately 2 to 3cm below that.  

You may have a more comfortable night by inching your minimum pressure up.  Try moving it to 8 or 9 and bring your max pressure down to 16.  I would also change the EPR to 2.

This will narrow the pressure range and keep your pressure more steady, as the pressure swings could be waking you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Completely agree with OpalRose. A machine set to 4-20,but that has a median pressure at nearly 11.0, is not optimized. Your minimum pressure should be moved to 9.0 cm. Everything else will fall into place with that change.

You are having mostly hypopnea, and that is happening because your minimum pressure setting is too low, so your machine tries to reduce pressure resulting in flow limits and hypopnea. This happens over and over. In spite of your good AHI, your pressure frequently drops below optimum, and this can be disruptive. You're fortunate to be using the Resmed Autoset as the Philips would not maintain pressure even this well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose & Sleeprider, my thanks to both of you.

I'll make the changes today and will report back.

Thanks again!
-Jerry
Post Reply Post Reply
This might have nothing to do with it, but I caught myself with my arm over the mask vent, I have caught myself doing this twice now. My partner said I was doing this for almost 10 minutes one night (She is now aware that I should be nudged) and there was not a lot of air getting past my arm. There must have been enough or I would not be here. Just in case you are doing the same and building up Co, I did wonder why I had headaches! I have maybe done this more than has been noticed, it does make you short of breath when you wake up!
This might not be the case with you, but keep it in mind. I might have done this when I had the CPAP, but I was on a much higher pressure with it and if it couldn't get out of the vent, it would just leak out the sides.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
This could also be an issue for those that claim to sleep with their faces mashed into their pillows.  
It's always a good idea to be careful not to obstruct the exhaust vents.  Sleep-on-pillow
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 104 1 hour ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 260 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 308 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.