Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up in the middle of the night
RE: Waking up in the middle of the night
On a good night - I may sleep 5 Hrs.
I usually fall asleep ok, but then wake up and can't get back to sleep.
I've had the problem for years. About this time last year, I finally talked to my Dr about it. He gave me a script for Nortriptyline _ its main use is as an antidepressant, but he said it has a side effect that helps you sleep.
As it was also the time, I started turning the heat on, all it did for me was cause extreme dry mouth. My wife began telling me that what I really needed was to talk to him about my sleep apnea and that my dry mouth was probably due to my snoring.
I've been using my BiPap machine since June, still had most of the script left - so I tried it again for the last week - still didn't help. At least now I'm not having the dry mouth as I am breathing through my nose with the nasal pillowsSmile
I have also tried the Nyquil ZZZ stuff - may have helped me to get the 5 hrs anyway. But I really don't think I'd try to use it every night.
A couple drinks also gets me 5 hrs - other than that I wake up every couple hrs.
I'm hoping the machine at least improves the quality of sleep that I do get, but I really couldn't say I feel any different during the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2012, 08:07 AM)johns019 Wrote: On a good night - I may sleep 5 Hrs.
I've had the problem for years.

I would eliminate caffeine from your diet. Plan your days so that you can get to bed early. When you wake up in the middle of the night get up, take benadryl, then read until you feel sleepy enough to go back to bed.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2012, 02:55 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(10-13-2012, 08:07 AM)johns019 Wrote: On a good night - I may sleep 5 Hrs.
I've had the problem for years.

I would eliminate caffeine from your diet. Plan your days so that you can get to bed early. When you wake up in the middle of the night get up, take benadryl, then read until you feel sleepy enough to go back to bed.

I probably should give up the coffee - I only have one mug/day in the morning - but its about 24 oz. Coffee
Tried going without a few times - massive headache, but I suppose that subsides.
Never tried benadryl - I'll give it a shot.
But getting up and reading - I don't know - I hate to climb out of that warm bed Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
But you have to get out of bed. You can't stay in it and read. You need to train your body to understand what laying down with the mask on means. Sleep!

Nearly all of the Whatever PM use benedryl (diphenhydramine) as the sleepy part.

Oh, and a friend of mine had a heart attack and her doc wanted her to cut down on coffee. She could have one cup a day. So she did. She went to a kitchen place and bought this mug that holds probably about 24oz. She had her one cup, just like he said to!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you believe Dr. Oz & his expert, you are taking way too much Melatonin.

See http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/why-mela...ideo=14647
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2012, 05:49 PM)johns019 Wrote: But getting up and reading - I don't know - I hate to climb out of that warm bed

That's the whole point. Get yourself out of that comfortable situation and reset your brain. You'll have to do things differently if you want to get different results.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2012, 08:33 PM)StuUnderPressure Wrote: If you believe Dr. Oz & his expert, you are taking way too much Melatonin.

That was an interesting show & yet nothing changes, we still get bad products advertised & sold to us as "all Natural & safe" but are doing us harm.
MAKES Me SICK! Perturbed

I did try for a while a few years back but lucky for me it only helped a little on a few nights & then nothing so I stopped.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2012, 12:54 AM)dcgrafix Wrote: bad products advertised & sold to us as "all Natural & safe" but are doing us harm.
MAKES Me SICK!

Yes, all "natural" like caffeine, tobacco, bacon grease, salt, botulin toxin, ricin, opium, marijuana, crude oil, sunlight (sunburn), poison ivy, etc.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2012, 04:51 AM)archangle Wrote:
(10-14-2012, 12:54 AM)dcgrafix Wrote: bad products advertised & sold to us as "all Natural & safe" but are doing us harm.
MAKES Me SICK!

Yes, all "natural" like caffeine, tobacco, bacon grease, salt, botulin toxin, ricin, opium, marijuana, crude oil, sunlight (sunburn), poison ivy, etc.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAZYA_oMtMSxOC_SVCbM2...VwLZQv5RAc]

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2012, 12:54 AM)dcgrafix Wrote:
(10-13-2012, 08:33 PM)StuUnderPressure Wrote: If you believe Dr. Oz & his expert, you are taking way too much Melatonin.

That was an interesting show & yet nothing changes, we still get bad products advertised & sold to us as "all Natural & safe" but are doing us harm.
MAKES Me SICK! Perturbed

I did try for a while a few years back but lucky for me it only helped a little on a few nights & then nothing so I stopped.

I don't know how it is in Canada, but in the USA "supplements" do not have to get approval like prescription drugs do.

So, they claim those supplements can do just about anything based on a "study" some Quack did in the Ukraine in his closet. (I AM kidding, or am I?)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SleepHQ O2 Ring Alarm waking me up MurrayApnea 0 24 1 hour ago
Last Post: MurrayApnea
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 193 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Middle of the night wakeup SteveC 1 124 04-10-2024, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 111 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 325 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 394 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 208 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.