Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up w/ empty humidifier
Waking up w/ empty humidifier
Twice this week, I woke up to find my humidifer chamber dry and warm/hot to the touch. I run it between 3.0 and 4.5 depending on how I feel. I am averaging 9 hours of sleep each night.

Aside from getting up in the middle of the night and refilling it, anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to make it through the night (without turning things down) without running out of water?

Anyone have insight as to whether or not I'm going to melt my cpap or burn down my house?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up w/ empty humidifier
Dunno for Resmed machines, but if you use a full tank, there is enough water in a Philips tank for nine hours - I half fill mine, run it on four and sleep around six hours and there is still a bit of water in it when I get up - maybe play with your humidifier levels (and how can you sleep nine whole hours? I'm lucky if I can keep my head down for seven when I have a lie-in)
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a Phillips and run it on 5. It is nearly dry every morning after 7 or 8 hours. There is not enough left to cover the metal plate.

I don't worry about burning the house Down, but wonder when I run out and if that is acting as a silent alarm clock waking me.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, if it runs down, the Philips won't overheat, not for a long time, although I think the tank design is dumb in a lot of ways, especially that the humidifier plate is in a sunken well, leaving a fair amount of water always sitting in the tank without a way of touching the plate to get used.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a Resmed for almost 3 years and never gave much thought to how it headed the water or got the humidity out to the hose. Since Casper the Ghost moved into my Phillips ASV I have been looking at it a bit more closely. It looks like it must have been designed by a government committee.
The rubber seals concern me as possible point of failure and leaks, hence noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
I run my S9 in manual so I can set both the temp and humidity. I have the temp set at 73 f and the humidity at 4. I only use about a quarter of a tank of water in a 6.5 hour night.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine goes by the relative humidity in the room. So a dry room will run the tank dry. You could try running a small humidifier on your side of the bed. You don't want it to fall where the machine is going to suck in the wet air but close enough where it senses the humidity.

Someone else has an external humidifier for their machine. Shatzi maybe?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2013, 02:31 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The machine goes by the relative humidity in the room. So a dry room will run the tank dry. You could try running a small humidifier on your side of the bed. You don't want it to fall where the machine is going to suck in the wet air but close enough where it senses the humidity.

Someone else has an external humidifier for their machine. Shatzi maybe?

Paula hits the point. Low relative humidity in the intake air will use more H2O for a given setting. If you are heating your room, you are lowering the relative humidity of the intake air. If you wish to leave the humidifier setting the same, try sleeping in a cooler room. Perhaps use an electric blanket. Or, you might humidify the room air with a room air humidifier, such as an ultrasonic humidifier.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2013, 02:15 AM)sir_sleeps_alot Wrote: Aside from getting up in the middle of the night and refilling it, anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to make it through the night (without turning things down) without running out of water?
Thanks.
ClimateLine. On auto, you set temperature to your preference and humidity level adjust automatically
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

Leaks whether mask or mouth leaks (especially if using nasal mask) uses more water also leaving the machine on while taking bathroom break during the night. Chinstrap may help minimize mouth leaks
Post Reply Post Reply
XXL would you please tell me where/how you change the humidity to manual and gain control over temperature? I asked that question in another thread, but did not get the answer how to change it mayself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 4 72 56 minutes ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 285 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 157 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 395 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 259 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 191 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.