Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up with Dry Mouth - Resmed S9
Waking up with Dry Mouth - Resmed S9
Hi all,

I bought a Resmed S9 a month ago and notice that on most nights I wake up after a few hours with a very dry mouth and have to drink a bit of water or swallow a few times so that I can continue using the machine. I have set the humidity at 5.5 and the temp to 28 as it is Winter here in Sydney. Does anyone have any idea? Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up with Dry Mouth - Resmed S9
keep your mouth closed. air blowing out your mouth will dry it out rapidly.

some people have found luck putting one of those sports headbands over their mouth when using nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 09:14 AM)diamaunt Wrote: keep your mouth closed. air blowing out your mouth will dry it out rapidly.

some people have found luck putting one of those sports headbands over their mouth when using nasal pillows.

The headband has worked well for me keeping my mouth closed so much so I have had ResScan reporting 0.0 leaks for the past 3 days.

I do not place the headband over my mouth!

Rather I place the headband under my chin, as in using it as a chin strap, and over the top of my head. I doubt it would work if you placed it over you mouth
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started CPAP I was experiencing the same thing. Finally realized I was a mouth breather and now use a ResMed Chin Restraint. Works great.

Good Luck
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I have dry mouth too. I use a FFM -- that helps with keeping me pressurized.
A recent central alpha blocker med I was put on for BP has made it worse.
I just sort of live with it; and drink plenty in the morning.

Winter air tends to be dryer indoors due to decrease relative humidity from home heating.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you see a lot of leaks in your data? If so, you may be leaking air out through your mouth.

Even if you don't show leaks on your data, you can still be mouth breathing enough to dry your mouth out. I sometimes find myself "bubbling" a little air through my lips and drying myself out.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 10:30 AM)justMongo Wrote: I have dry mouth too. I use a FFM -- that helps with keeping me pressurized.
A recent central alpha blocker med I was put on for BP has made it worse.
I just sort of live with it; and drink plenty in the morning.

Winter air tends to be dryer indoors due to decrease relative humidity from home heating.

I agree with Mongo. The chin strap may be the first option to try but failing in that (as I did), the FFM is the way to go.

You do not need to be a mouth breather to have significant mouth leaks.

I am on an alpha blocker and a diuretic and an RT implied that I would just have to live with the dry mouth. Once I got my leaks under control by going to a full face mask, I was able to increase my humidity enough to eliminate most of my dry mouth. I also use Biotene mouth wash just before bed. Another thing that I found is that some masks are more prone to condensation than others (I do not have a heated hose). My Mirage Quattro FFM does not get as much condensation as my Zest mask did (I think the clear plastic may be a little thicker).

Best Regards,

PaytonA

P.S. One other thing I just noticed is your pressure of 8-20. If you spend much time with the pressure close to 20 cm/H2O the nasal pillows may not be the answer. I have heard of some people that can use them at that high pressure without leaks but I think that many can not.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 11:04 AM)PaytonA Wrote: P.S. One other thing I just noticed is your pressure of 8-20. If you spend much time with the pressure close to 20 cm/H2O the nasal pillows may not be the answer. I have heard of some people that can use them at that high pressure without leaks but I think that many can not.

Yup -- you can blow out a nostril at 20 cm-H2O.
(I'm picturing Jack Nicholson in China Town.)Oh-jeez
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi eisenhertz66,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you like the pillows you are using, you might try a chin strap to see if that will help you keep your mouth closed.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Chinstrap, chinstrap, chinstrap...... Yada, yada, yada. Got a dry mouth? All you ever hear about is "use a chinstrap."

Yup. That's what works! I use one with my P10, and it keeps my mouth from opening when I'm in never-never land --- which keeps me from getting that super dry mouth. I'd rather not use one, but if I don't, my leaks go up and my dry mouth becomes a problem.

So yup, for me it's a chinstrap.

I tried a piece of elastic last night instead of my more formal chinstrap. It's a great idea because it's not nearly so bulky. In the beginning I had it too tight, so it wasn't comfortable. Then I loosened it and I couldn't keep it on. So back to my trusty chinstrap. I'll probably revisit the elastic thing once I find one that's a little wider than what I have. Like maybe 6 feet or so.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 105 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 76 04-15-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 182 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 108 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 808 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 319 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 632 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.