Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up with Dry Mouth - Resmed S9
RE: Waking up with Dry Mouth - Resmed S9
(07-08-2014, 09:44 AM)Skypilot Wrote: I do not place the headband over my mouth!

Rather I place the headband under my chin, as in using it as a chin strap, and over the top of my head. I doubt it would work if you placed it over you mouth

the post I saw from someone advocating that pointed out that a chin strap holds your jaw together, but doesn't do anything to keep your lips closed, and so they wear the headband over their lips, it's a gentle pressure that helps keep them together.

sort of a midway between nothing and the tape that some people resort to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 01:35 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-08-2014, 09:44 AM)Skypilot Wrote: I do not place the headband over my mouth!

Rather I place the headband under my chin, as in using it as a chin strap, and over the top of my head. I doubt it would work if you placed it over you mouth

the post I saw from someone advocating that pointed out that a chin strap holds your jaw together, but doesn't do anything to keep your lips closed, and so they wear the headband over their lips, it's a gentle pressure that helps keep them together.

sort of a midway between nothing and the tape that some people resort to.

Some people do advocate taping or whatever to keep their mouth shut. Personally, I think that is a bad idea waiting to happen. Mouths are supposed to open sometimes (unless of course Mrs. Retired_Guy says otherwise). The point of chinstraps or anything is to "gently encourage" the jaw to stay forward and the mouth to stay closed. Encourage, not force. Force is for Mrs. Retired_Guy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 01:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Personally, I think that is a bad idea waiting to happen. Mouths are supposed to open sometimes (unless of course Mrs. Retired_Guy says otherwise).

as has been said many times, nothing works for everybody, everyone is different, different things work for different people, unless, apparently, one is Mrs Retired-Guy, in which case, it's a fairly set list.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 10:30 AM)justMongo Wrote: I have dry mouth too. I use a FFM -- that helps with keeping me pressurized.
A recent central alpha blocker med I was put on for BP has made it worse.
I just sort of live with it; and drink plenty in the morning.

Winter air tends to be dryer indoors due to decrease relative humidity from home heating.

Living with it - me too - at one point it did enough damage that almost anything tasted way too spicy - like burning the inside of my mouth.

I've learned to sleep with me and masked head sleep under the covers (colder room, so am not too hot) and that helps somewhat.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 02:36 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-08-2014, 01:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Personally, I think that is a bad idea waiting to happen. Mouths are supposed to open sometimes (unless of course Mrs. Retired_Guy says otherwise).

as has been said many times, nothing works for everybody, everyone is different, different things work for different people, unless, apparently, one is Mrs Retired-Guy, in which case, it's a fairly set list.

Yep. You're right. Which of course is why I said "Personally, I think that is a bad idea..." Many people find not being able to breath when the power goes out is actually kind of a new and unique experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 12:47 PM)justMongo Wrote: Yup -- you can blow out a nostril at 20 cm-H2O.
(I'm picturing Jack Nicholson in China Town.)Oh-jeez

That is some picture to consider. Along those lines maybe one could just suture the nasal pillows to one's nostrils........or use super glue!! Dielaughing

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been experimenting with all kinds of store-bought and home-made chin straps. Some work a lot better than others so you just have to figure out what's best for you. Even if you're leaking a little bit it'll show up on your leak graph. And it can be enough to interfere with your sleep.

I seem to go most of the night with no leaks, but then sometime after dawn it starts. It doesn't bother me (except I suspect it might be what's waking me up) and I wouldn't even suspect I'm doing it except there it is on my leak graph.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try XyliMelts. My dentist suggested that I try them, and they work well.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I get dry mouth it's caused by mask leak and mouth breathing. I switch from my regular FFM to my RespCARE Hybrid FFM. It's a combination mouth seal/nasal pillow FFM. Has a much smaller mouth seal and a chin flap. My solution to not needing a chin strap. Kit comes with three sizes cushions and nasal pillows. Might be worth a look.
Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to the Xylimelts, you could try Orajel Dry Mouth Gel. People seem to find that effective too. I am going to try both. Have ordered the Orajel and am going to look for the Xylimelts at Rite Aid.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 2 52 3 minutes ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 365 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.