Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up with air rushing out of my mouth
Waking up with air rushing out of my mouth
Used cpap for years. Recently restudied and pressure increased from 8-15. Recently got new respironics dreamstation and new pico mask with higher pressure.

I'm now waking up with my mouth open, air rushing out of it and ever so dry. Never had this problem before.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up with air rushing out of my mouth
If you are using a nasal cushion or a nasal pillow mask, and used a full face mask previously, it might explain the new development.  I have only ever used a nasal cushion, now six months into therapy, and my mouth opened the first few minutes as I fell asleep the first time I wore it.  I now tape.  It's the only reasonable solution for me.  With my lips taped shut, I never have dry mouth and the air can't blow out of my open lips any longer.

If you have always worn only a certain type of mask, then I'm at a loss as to why the sudden rush of air unless a new higher pressure has made the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2018, 10:01 PM)Momsterjo Wrote: Used cpap for years. Recently restudied and pressure increased from 8-15. Recently got new respironics dreamstation and new pico mask with higher pressure.

I'm now waking up with my mouth open, air rushing out of it and ever so dry. Never had this problem before.

Can you clarify which DreamStation you are using?
The DS Pro is a data capable straight pressure Cpap.
The DS Auto allows you to use a pressure range, min and max.
The DS Cpap (not data capable, what we call a brick.)

If you are using the Pro or Auto, then Download the free #SleepyHead software. Then follow the directions in my signature line to post a screenshot of you data here.

That is quite a pressure change...going from 8cm to 15cm. I’m guessing you are not used to the higher pressure, and may be causing you to mouth breath. That is what is causing your mouth to be so dry.

Again, if you can download the software, we can take a look at your data and better advise.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to consider buying a soft cervical collar which can help to nudge the chin closed to prevent leaks. Also a chin strap can work.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Momsterjo,   Previously a while ago i had similar,  sitting  up awake What the as if having an exorcism,  sudden Air gushing out of mouth, Dry mouth, wondering what going on, next day, boated Guts and wind, but least didnt stink but may been cause was just break wind all Day. Any way determined not to be beaten, persevere to get on top of this and my thought that was not handling, to build up sudden high pressure? So in my thinking to restart at the lower pressure with only  minimum gap to Higher pressure to slowly become climated to the pressures, and slowly build increased on the pressure, may need to keep a smaller pressure gap while continue to the higher pressure so on action Apnea you wont be a big get sudden kick surprise, from big gap from low pressure to higher pressure in attempt to prevent / stop Apnea. This is only a personal theory and I had initially increase AHI with  less pressure but less waking issues and better sleep by not be woken form the Devil Air rushing busting out from mouth?  But I'am impatient and did push a bit but did eventually get on top of the Devil. But in hindsight  take Baby Steps to working up to the higher pressure by .5  at time days / weeks ?  Will be other's in here will be much more technically and more informed this is just my old Mate' novice broad opinion. Collars may also assist towards or try thin pillow hug onto as your best mate and squeeze tight under your chin throat ?
Post Reply Post Reply
What type of tape was used ???

Cheers
Howie
Life is inherently risky. There is only one big risk you should avoid at all costs, and that is the risk of doing nothing.

Denis Waitley

Post Reply Post Reply
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=...ajaxhist=0
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Life is inherently risky. There is only one big risk you should avoid at all costs, and that is the risk of doing nothing.

Denis Waitley

Post Reply Post Reply
I like the other suggestions. Also, you might want to use saline spray in your nose before bed, and make sure to use lots of humidity if your machine has that feature. This can help keep the nasal passages open.

If you continue to tape your mouth, I highly recommend Somnifix tape, good stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
Holy moly the google bots are everywhere. A few hours after I mentioned 'saline spray' above, an ad for saline popped up in my facebook feed. Jeeze.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 10 147 52 minutes ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 41 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 388 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 320 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,082 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.