Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up with headaches, have S9 data
Waking up with headaches, have S9 data
Hi, new user here, I have a s9 autoset with hsi, heated tube & quattro Fx.
I have both the Resscan & Sleepyhead software but find the Sleepyhead more user freindly and fairly easy to interpret.
I have only had the machine for 9 days. I don't get headaches normally. I went the 1st 5 nights without waking in the morning with headaches, but on the 6th night had noticed 6 obstructive events within a 15 minutes period. The next day I woke with a migrane which persisted the whole day and completely unable to function. The last 2 nights also had headaches all day but not migranes.
Last night woke at 3:30, the ahi was .8, and I didn't have a headache at that time. Fell back to sleep and again woke with a bad headache. The ahi jumped to 3.33. Within a 2 hour period I had 10 obstructive events, and 13 clear airway events and 1 hypopnea event.
Not sure if this is related to the headaches or maybe its the headgear straps.
Must have something to do with the the Cpap because I rarely woke with had headaches before I started using it. On the other hand I used it the 1st 6 nights and it seemed ok. Its possible I had a slight headache.

Im sleeping ok with the mask so not sure what is going on. Any takers?

Bryan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up with headaches, have S9 data
Hi bryank1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try to loosen the headgear on your mask just a bit and seeif that would help you but hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
whats pressure and leaks stats. arrange a follow up with the sleep doc ... headaches can be symptoms of a variety of conditions
I used to get morning headaches daily prior to cpap
cpap eliminate this problem for me but at times do wake with headaches when humidifier at max or congested (not always)
everyone is DIFFERENT. I've never been a friend with the Quattro Fx .. the lower straps put pressure on lower jaw and find it very uncomfortable

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2012, 08:37 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi bryank1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try to loosen the headgear on your mask just a bit and seeif that would help you but hang in there for more suggestions.

Thanks Trish, I started with the straps being on the threshhold of sealing but the 1st several nights was awakened to leaks. I readjusted the straps to be a bit tighter witched worked, but also had other problems with the dry mouth & tongue syndrome. So the therapist set me up with a chin strap which also worked but I will have to work backward to eliminate variables.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2012, 08:58 PM)zonk Wrote: whats pressure and leaks stats. arrange a follow up with the sleep doc ... headaches can be symptoms of a variety of conditions
I used to get morning headaches daily prior to cpap
cpap eliminate this problem for me but at times do wake with headaches when humidifier at max or congested (not always)
everyone is DIFFERENT. I've never been a friend with the Quattro Fx .. the lower straps put pressure on lower jaw and find it very uncomfortable

Since this is my 1st mask, I don't know how to compare, what mask are you using now? Also, do you like it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2012, 09:37 PM)bryank1 Wrote: what mask are you using now? Also, do you like it?
Activa LT nasal mask with a chinstrap worn loose and like a lot
everyone is different. its quite common to try several masks types/size
read the mask user guide about correct mask fitting instructions (Quattro FX - swing and seal method) and go the manufacturer web site ... heaps of info. the mask that works for you is the BEST ONE
mask have to maintain seal during the night. some leaks acceptable as long as don,t cause sleep arousal or goes to the eyes
S9 acceptable leak anything below 24L/min

Post Reply Post Reply
It's only been 9 days. I know that may sound like a lot of time but it's not. The headaches could be totally unrelated to CPAP.

If they continue or worsen, see the sleep doc as soon as you can.

As for the AHI, you are just starting. No two nights are the same so you need a little more data before you can reach any reliable conclusions. And since you've been using it for such a short amount of time, your body probably hasn't finished adjusted to everything yet.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ask your doctor. Don't neglect the possibility it's something unrelated to CPAP or apnea.

Do you know what your AHI was during the sleep study?

Sometimes, even if your CPAP therapy eliminates your apnea, your body and brain take a while to rebalance your metabolism and chemistry after you stop being strangled repeatedly through the night. It can be a bit like drug withdrawal.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2012, 01:38 AM)archangle Wrote: Ask your doctor. Don't neglect the possibility it's something unrelated to CPAP or apnea.

Do you know what your AHI was during the sleep study?

Sometimes, even if your CPAP therapy eliminates your apnea, your body and brain take a while to rebalance your metabolism and chemistry after you stop being strangled repeatedly through the night. It can be a bit like drug withdrawal.

Thanks for the advice. Headaches have subsides (not gone entirely) My Ahi in the study was 6.2; total respiratory disturbance index of 11.8 events/hr.; and a rem disturbance index of 35.6 events/hr.Oxy levels are 88%.

The sleepyhead software from the S9 shows different readings like clear airway clustered pretty close together every night. like last night 9 of those events , 2 of which were 16 seconds long each spaced within about 1 1/2 minutes from each other.
I seem to have several clear airway (central) apneas usually patterned together. When would it be appropriate to use a bi-pap instead of apap?
Post Reply Post Reply
BiPAP is not for central apnea. BiPAP (or bilevel PAP) can have an inhale and exhale pressure difference of more than 3 points.

Central events are common when first starting therapy. I'm too lazy today to go back and see how long you have been using the APAP.

However, clear airway events and central events are not necessarily the same thing. This is a topic of much discussion here and elsewhere. Some people say they are, some people say they are not.

If these clear airway events continue or worsen, you really need to discuss this with your doc. But, if you are just starting, my bet is that they will slowly subside, especially if none were seen during the sleep study.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 238 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 116 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 359 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 242 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 171 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 282 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
Gross [Symptoms] Persistent headaches, nothing seems to fix haikuclue 16 668 02-14-2024, 08:09 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.