Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up with headaches, have S9 data
RE: Waking up with headaches, have S9 data
(10-20-2012, 10:55 PM)bryank1 Wrote: I was told by the respiratory therapist from ResMed that a clear airway was a central apnea.

That's the jargon that those techs use. For a patient with simple OSA, the difference doesn't really matter. If your CA index is too high the remedy is to try and lower the pressure or just wait until the patient adjusts.

Whether you call these CA events clear-airway apneas (as Respironics machines do) or central apneas (as ResMed machines and respiratory techs do) is often just a matter of semantics.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2012, 10:55 PM)bryank1 Wrote: I was told by the respiratory therapist from ResMed that a clear airway was a central apnea.
ResMed adamant its CSA
FOT determine if airways open or closed ... if open (for at least 10 sec)... its CSA
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2012, 03:39 PM)zonk Wrote:
ResMed adamant its CSA
FOT determine if airways open or closed ... if open (for at least 10 sec)... its CSA

Dumb ? here, but what is FOT and CSA?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2012, 07:50 PM)bryank1 Wrote: what is FOT and CSA?
CSA: Central Sleep Apnea
FOT: Forced Oscillation Technique

the S9 send send small puff of air (FOT) to test if airways is closed or open during an apnea

Apneas are classified as being central (open upper airway), obstructive (closed upper airway) or unknown.
Central apneas are scored when the resistance is low, and obstructive apneas when the resistance is high.
The classifier labels apneas ‘unknown’ when the inadvertent leak exceeds 30 L/min or the resistance is indeterminate.
Central and unknown apneas do not cause an increase in delivered pressure.

Central Sleep Apnea Detection and the Enhanced AutoSet Algorithm
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...-paper.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2012, 08:32 PM)zonk Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 07:50 PM)bryank1 Wrote: what is FOT and CSA?
CSA: Central Sleep Apnea
FOT: Forced Oscillation Technique

the S9 send send small puff of air (FOT) to test if airways is closed or open during an apnea

Apneas are classified as being central (open upper airway), obstructive (closed upper airway) or unknown.
Central apneas are scored when the resistance is low, and obstructive apneas when the resistance is high.
The classifier labels apneas ‘unknown’ when the inadvertent leak exceeds 30 L/min or the resistance is indeterminate.
Central and unknown apneas do not cause an increase in delivered pressure.

Central Sleep Apnea Detection and the Enhanced AutoSet Algorithm
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...-paper.pdf
Thanks Zonk. great explaination. So everyone on here was right on. The headaches subsided. The ahi is mainly low. I still don't quite understand certain aspects of the machine. For instance, I monitor my data every day. I see so many events. Lets say there is an obstructive event that is 20 seconds long. For starters, why is there still an obstructive apnea when the machine is delivering constant air pressure? Also, if the machine doesn't react until after the 1st 10 seconds, then why is there a 20 second apnea? Seems to me the constant pressure wouldn't let an obstructive even happen, however if it did (which in my case they do), then after the 10 seconds what is supposed to happen? Since it is already delivering constant pressure, what else can it do other than maybe give a burst in pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
It takes time to end the event by opening your airway. It is not an instantaneous thing. And it is dependent on what the ranges are on an autoPAP.

First it determines what is needed to keep your airway open as you relax in sleep.
Then it continually looks for an event that lasts longer than 10 seconds.
Then it slowly increases the pressure until that even no longer exists.

So if the pressure range is set way wide, there may or may not be a big climb from where it is to where it needs to be.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2012, 08:32 PM)zonk Wrote: the S9 send send small puff of air (FOT) to test if airways is closed or open during an apnea.

Respironics "pressure pulse" is a pulse.

S9's FOT is a series of pulses that continues until the apnea ends.

Respironics pulse uses a much higher pressure change than Resmed's FOT.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I thought I would do an update here. The headaches did go away after about 21/2 to 3 weeks. Thanks for the replies.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 237 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 116 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 358 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 242 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 171 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 282 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
Gross [Symptoms] Persistent headaches, nothing seems to fix haikuclue 16 668 02-14-2024, 08:09 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.