Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up with mask off after 2 hours
Waking up with mask off after 2 hours
Hi all,

I have been a cpap/bipap user for the past 1 year (first used the Dreamstation, before switching to the ResMed VAuto before the recall happened). Was unable to fall asleep with the machine until the past month or so following a nasal surgery, it helped me to tolerate my bipap a little better I guess. Have been able to fall asleep within 1/2hr of putting on my mask for the past few weeks.

However, I am always waking up with my mask off, consistently at the 2h mark. Sometimes i can vaguely recall pulling it due to the air gushing from my mouth or into my cheek. 

I use an F&P Brevida with mouth tape, although sometimes I wake up noticing airflow through my mouth tape (it's porous).

Any idea what could be waking me up? Should I lower the pressure? My oscar screenshots are below.

Thanks for any input! Have been quite desperate to make this work since I've been so tired at work.

[attachment=36582][attachment=36583][attachment=36584]

More screenshots from OSCAR:
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up with mask off after 2 hours
Welcome to Apnea Board,

It is probably your pressure of minimum of 4 is too low, causing air starvation and then the mask removal. It would also be helpful to redo the chart order when presenting as standard order is more convenient to see necessary info quickly.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2021, 07:47 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Welcome to Apnea Board,

It is probably your pressure of minimum of 4 is too low, causing air starvation and then the mask removal. It would also be helpful to redo the chart order when presenting as standard order is more convenient to see necessary info quickly.
Looking at his pressure response his minimum doesn't look low.  His minimum is 8.6 and his EPAP is around 4.  Exhaling at 4 isn't low right?

I don't see any patterns that would cause mask being taken off.  I would look into the leaking. I see parts that the therapy stops after a rise in leaks.

I would keep at using the device. It could just be matter of time until you get used to the equipment. If you have issue with breathing comfort with the mask, it's probably worthwhile to try out various mask to find one that you can breath comfortably.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the replies, I have attached my new OSCAR screenshots with lesser fields.

Yes I was thinking it might be the leaks as well as I notice the air going through the gap in my mouthtape. 

Would using a full face mask help to eliminate the leaks?

Post Reply Post Reply
I only recommend trying out various masks because I've noticed that masks can have different comfort levels in breathability. I found some to push air too aggressively when the machine calls for it. I personally think that non-full face masks perform better than FFMs.

As for tape, it should not have gaps for leakage. I use this tape, and it works well, no gaps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F9J...=UTF8&th=1
Post Reply Post Reply
More screenshots:

(10-23-2021, 09:13 AM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: I only recommend trying out various masks because I've noticed that masks can have different comfort levels in breathability.  I found some to push air too aggressively when the machine calls for it.  I personally think that non-full face masks perform better than FFMs.  

As for tape, it should not have gaps for leakage.  I use this tape, and it works well, no gaps.  

Ok, will try this tape out! Thank you

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I think you'll find that nasal resistance is lower for nasal pillows versus nasal cup or FFM at same pressure X.  This is because there is just a bit more pressure inside of the nostrils than outside. on the FFM or nasal cup, there is air pressure on both sides.

If this were me, a would use a FFM, but other than that I would start my settings adjustment by increasing EPAP to something like 6.0 and make my PS lower (like 3) and don't need to vault the pressures up too far but allowing the EPAP to range from 6.0 to at least 9.0.  That translates to PS 3 over 9.0-12.0. Then I would look for evidence that the flow limitations are all but eliminated and CAs stay very low or eliminated.

QAL

maybe some form of chin strap would help and also starting to learn to seal mouth by pressing tongue against back of upper teeth.
Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated.

An update, tried using my F30 last night but got a rise in OA. Tried reducing PS but got abit hard for me to sleep, I'll try other options and see how it goes

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Like I've said earlier, I do not recommend FFM. They cause clustering OA (as shown on your chart) which is referred to as 'positional apnea' and 'chin-tucking' in this board. This is why I wouldn't recommend FFM. Try out other types of nasal masks with tape. If pillows seems too aggressive, I recommend trying out N30i, Wisp, or DreamWisp masks.

With FFM, you have to wear a cervical collar to stop the clustering OAs.
Post Reply Post Reply
It might be for you the full face mask increases positional Apnea, but not for everyone. Myself, I use full face because I can't control mouth breathing.

Again, in some, a full face may increase Positional Apnea clusters. I think some comments from those that get them with certain masks, it gets traced back to the headgear and straps.

And yes, best practice is try pillows or nasal masks first.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 run hours??? eok361 4 86 1 hour ago
Last Post: Gideon
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 184 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 108 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 324 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 387 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 321 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 208 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.