Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up with mask off?
Waking up with mask off?
Strange thing lately... I've been waking up in the night and find the mask off Huhsign

I don't remember doing it and it isn't that I've forgotten to put it back on after going to the bathroom (I wake to go to bathroom and I find the mask already off).

I'm fairly new to CPAP use (3 months), but had adjusted really well. I use a FF mask due to a deviated septum. My pressure is fixed at 6 and my AHI is consistently below 1. No trouble with leaks or comfort.

Last night my mask was on for 2 hours, then off for around 3 hours, then back on for 3 hours. I've been waking up feeling rested, unlike pre-CPAP where I woke up feeling like death.

Has this happened to others? Any ideas why I am suddenly doing this? Or how I can prevent it? I don' want to accidentally go back to feeling like I did before.

Edit: I should add that I have had a cough/cold thing... Maybe that's why??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up with mask off?
Could possibly be the cold, or could be your pressure is too low. With a full face mask at a pressure of 6, you may feel air deprived. You could try to bump it up to 7 and see how you feel.

There has to be a reason to pull off your mask. Are you sure it's not too tight?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stuffed passages from a cold can affect everything. For some reason your brain still believes you should be breathing! And off goes the mask if you are not getting enough air in.

Maybe increase the pressure to 7 for a night while you are stuffed up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never adjusted the pressures. Off to figure that out!

My AHIs were around 2 at a pressure of just 5, my RT set it at 6 for good measure. Apparently I just need a whiff of pressure to keep everything open.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi snowdrop,
I agree on raising your pressure a notch to 7, it might be that in your sleep, you are feeling air-depribed and thus the need to take your mask off.
Good luck and I hope you get over your cold, soon.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It very well could be, with being congested that you require more pressure to power through. Probably your brain being goofy and telling you to take the mask off because it's not enough air. Hope you feel better soon!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never taken my mask off completely while asleep but once I woke up in a panic and in the process of literally ripping my mask off my head. Did not undo any straps or anything just ripped it off. Never did figure out what caused the panic. With my 20 cm/H2O pressure, it certainly was not because I was feeling air starved. It may have been the result of a dream with something on my face suffocating me. It has never happened again.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Problem solved, I think!

I loosened up the straps a wee bit and my cold in slowly improving.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Post Reply Post Reply
During an ill advised attempt to rescue an "adult" step daughter (I say ill advised because it seems she is a psychopath and raising more of the same - wife did warn me about her adopted daughter) and her two small children I was forced to put a motion triggered CCTV system inside the house to protect our stuff. (I told the kids it was a General Observation Device)
I am thinking of using it while I play with the cpap machine I pick up tomorrow. Downside is I used $5 cameras and the LEDs are not pure IR and will bug me. Probably hear me cursing through the mask LOL
Might be very revealing Wink
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Snowdrop, congratulations! Glad its working out for you! Hope you get over your cold soon.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 4 86 1 hour ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 286 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 398 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 259 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 307 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.