Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking up with very dry mouth
Waking up with very dry mouth
I'm several months into CPAP therapy, and while I'm still having no luck getting my AHI to where it should be, I've never experienced this before. The last three nights, I've woken up about 4-5 hours with bone dry mouth and lips. I have the humidity set to 6, and a normal amount of water appears to have evaporated from the reservoir. Any ideas on what can be causing this?

Thanks!

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up with very dry mouth
Hi Dave, could you mask be leaking causing much of the moisture to escape?

Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a full face mask. I use a chin strap with it in order to avoid just the problem that you mentioned. for me it is not a perfect thing but the dry mouth is almost nonexistent.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, do you have a dry mouth at any other times?
- If yes, dry eyes, too?
- - If yes to both, do you have any autoimmune/arthritis conditions up the family tree?
- - - If yes, might be a good idea to talk with your doc about screening for these. Early intervention may slow or prevent worse problems

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Beej. I found out I have Sjogren's because my eyes were so dry at night that even my own eyelids were scratching them during REM. Or it could just be you're going to bed already mildly dehydrated, and sleep is making it worse. I hope for the latter for you. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 108 3 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.