Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waking with palpitations
RE: Waking with palpitations
Don't you love it?
I have had a nuclear stress test and cardiac ultrasound exam and they found no problems!

I still have occasional atrial fibrilations though.. I know that is what it is because I watched the event on a
EKG montior in the ER once.

So then the doc comes in and runs a printout AFTER it's over and goes. "Mmhmm. You're fine no problem here."
So I was "Well, yah you DUMB***! you missed it!"
=>.<=

Anyway, sometimes your heart will trip over something in the dark, only thing I can conlude at this point.
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2013, 05:22 PM)SleepRunner Wrote: I'm not experienced with SleepyHead yet, but my data from last night showed everything normal (no apneas, no leaks) until about 11:30 when a 30 sec central apnea hit and thoroughly woke me up.
My pressure is 8-15 cm. The machine (after the ramp time) ran at 8 cm all night long and of course made no response to the one long(er) CSA event.

Hi SleepRunner, welcome to the forum!

Good to hear you are having a fairly easy time adapting to
PAP treatment, other than the occasional bad central.

Central events which occur occasionally during the beginning months of PAP therapy will sometimes (I think will usually) slowly disappear as our system becomes acclimated to PAP treatment.

Did you ever wake up with palpitations before starting PAP therapy? (I did, very often, and with PAP treatment that does not happen any more.)

Those of us who are susceptible to central apneas often have problems if we try to use EPR (Exhalation Pressure Relief), because with some people using EPR can cause central apneas. Most people do better when using EPR or Flex or whatever, but a few of us do worse with EPR and have the best sleep quality when EPR is turned down to 1 or turned completely off.

Lastly, if I remember correctly, I think one member reported a few months months ago that he suspects he has fewer central apneas when he eats a little coconut oil with/after dinner. He got kidded a little by other forum members, but it makes sense to me that it could help, because the medium chain length oils tend to be easily but slowly digested and could provide support for more constant blood sugar levels throughout the night. I bought some at Costco and have been meaning to start using it on food instead of butter, and let folks know if I feel any improvement. (Would have to go by how I feel because I can't go by my AHI; with the ASV machine, my AHI is pretty much always zero except for a rare obstructive event perhaps once every few days.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2013, 05:22 PM)SleepRunner Wrote: My pressure is 8-15 cm. The machine (after the ramp time) ran at 8 cm all night long and of course made no response to the one long(er) CSA event.

If the machine never raised above 8cmH2O, it sounds to me like the minimum pressure might be set higher than it needs to be.

You mentioned a feeling of hyperventilation - that feeling usually comes from problems dealing with pressure. After one gets used to high pressure the low pressure can feel suffocating - suffocation and hyperventilation are two very different feelings.

Central Apneas can, at times (usually early on in PAP therapy), be a sign of trouble adjusting to pressure.

All of these other things aside though, the pressure never raising from the minimum pressure of 8cmH2O seems to me to suggest the minimum is too high.

If it were me, I wouldn't mess with the max pressure setting (the machine won't go any higher than it needs to any way); but, I might drop that minimum pressure down to 4cmH2O and see what happens.

Before doing that though, I would fake snore with the mask on to make sure the auto is working properly and the machine isn't broken - if it is working, then snoring should make the pressure go up.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 10 151 1 hour ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 294 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 263 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 193 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 310 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.