Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Want Data-Capable Machine / Scent
Want Data-Capable Machine / Scent
Newbie here -

Hello - This site is full of wonderful first-hand experiences and such great information!! Making my way around it to gain more knowledge on this new part of life.

Just tried to download my SD card into Sleepyhead; my REMStar Plus C-Flex System One model doesn't work with the software. Very disappointed. Can I ask DME provider or dr. to change machine just so I can download my own data? Do most DME's and doctors know CPAP users do this? Anyone have experience with changing machines just for this reason?

Background: I started CPAP 3 weeks ago. Experiencing minor leaks, in my opinion; lately sweating around mask. Some nights I get 5 - 7 hours asleep with no problem, but lately, get congested overnight and must take off mask after 2 - 3 hours. Tried breathe strips - irritated nose after 3 nights. Skipped machine last night. Any suggestions? I want to know if the machine and mask is even working for me, so I need data...

Also, strange question. I notice a scent with the CPAP (I use unscented dish soap to clean everything daily) and I am also noticing that scent during the day when I breathe. Is that common? Very sensitive to scents.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.
Lynne
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Want Data-Capable Machine / Scent
> Just tried to download my SD card into Sleepyhead; my REMStar Plus C-Flex System One model doesn't work with the software. Very disappointed. Can I ask DME provider or dr. to change machine just so I can download my own data? Do most DME's and doctors know CPAP users do this? Anyone have experience with changing machines just for this reason?

It works fine with the software. I'm using it with that machine. You might need a newer version, or there's something else going on.

> Also, strange question. I notice a scent with the CPAP (I use unscented dish soap to clean everything daily) and I am also noticing that scent during the day when I breathe. Is that common? Very sensitive to scents.

Smells that stick around when you move to a different environment are generally based in your nose. You might be congested or have a sinus infection. If it doesn't go away, you should probably see a doc.There's nothing in the machine that should smell.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the reply. I will maybe check with an ENT if the scent continues. It's like a plastic smell; not offensive; it smells like the air coming from the hose.

I just retried to download info and the error message said my version was a 260P and not data capable. Sad

Post Reply Post Reply
Since you have the REMstar Plus, SleepyHead won't work with it. Unfortunately the "Plus" is a usage only machine. It doesn't record any detailed data that SleepyHead needs.

If I were you I'd try very hard to get the doc or DME to get the machine changed to a full efficacy data machine. The Respironics model will be the DS460S. The model number is on the bottom of the machine. Be sure to remove the humidifier!

Be persistent and mention the leaking and how you can't tell how bad they are or if they're occurring in your sleep. Also mention that you can't tell how well the therapy is working.

Tcarmen lists the "Auto" in their sig so that's the DS560S machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lac47,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might talk to your DME and see if they will exchange your machine for a data-capable machine since you haven't had that one for too long.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2014, 03:32 PM)lac47 Wrote: I just retried to download info and the error message said my version was a 260P and not data capable. Sad
[Image: PR-model.jpg]

Model numbers below 460 are not data capable machines

Act now, you don,t want stuck with this brick for the next 5 years, most people end up buying data capable machine out of pockets.
Talk to your doctor to write a new script, specify the machine you want and write 'dispense as written'
Ask for 560, 560 is APAP machine, can be used in either in CPAP mode or APAP mode, you get two machines in price of one and your insurance does not care, they pay just the same amount for either machines, they only care that compliance are met
Are on 'rent to own', but anyway you should have no problem convincing the doctor, after all he/she should have your best interest at heart

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, all!
Zonk, just confirmed # and mine is a 260; there is no 'S'. Was going to ask for the DS460.
I'm confused; I have a System One Heated Humidifier - REF DS6HFCG. Is that a heated tube humidifier or just a humidifier? That would determine if I request a DS460 TS or HS, correct?

Bama Rambler - I thought I had air leaking and don't know if CPAP is solving my issues, so that is exactly what I said. Smile

Called DME - they "don't have that data-capable machine (460)" (?) and they "record it all for me anyway"...rep gave me some stats over the phone; pretty good - no apneas at least, thankfully, with minimal leaking. But I want more and daily info. Called Dr. & his staff was helpful; they will ask Dr. about a new machine; maybe change DME if they can't provide correct machine. I'll call back Wed. to give dr. the specifics and "dispense as written" request. I appreciate the info! One day at a time with this new process...
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2014, 04:39 PM)lac47 Wrote: Called DME - they "don't have that data-capable machine (460)" (?) and they "record it all for me anyway"...rep gave me some stats over the phone; pretty good - no apneas at least, thankfully, with minimal leaking.

The DME is lying or really, really, REALLY stupid. Given the quality of most DME's either option is possible.

No Respironics Plus machine records apneas at all. Only PRO models and above record apnea data. The Plus only records settings and when the machine is turned on. It doesn't even record leaks.

The really stupid bit would be if the DME looks at the data and since he sees no apneas recorded, assumes there are none.

[Image: picardfacepalm.jpg]
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2014, 02:48 PM)lac47 Wrote: Just tried to download my SD card into Sleepyhead; my REMStar Plus C-Flex System One model doesn't work with the software. Very disappointed.
SleepyHead can't display data that is not recorded. Bummer that the DME sold you a Model 260 System One.

Quote:Can I ask DME provider or dr. to change machine just so I can download my own data? Do most DME's and doctors know CPAP users do this? Anyone have experience with changing machines just for this reason?
Most docs and DMEs believe that users are not interested in their data and cannot see it even if they are. Many docs and DMEs will try to tell you that it is unnecessary to check your own data, and some will claim it is illegal for you to look at your own data. They are WRONG.

Quote:Background: I started CPAP 3 weeks ago. Experiencing minor leaks, in my opinion;
Because your machine records no leak data, there's no way to tell if the leaks are minor or major.

Quote:Any suggestions? I want to know if the machine and mask is even working for me, so I need data...
Start by reading JanKnitz's blog entry Help, I'm stuck with a brick!. It will give you some strategies to try in order to get your current "brick" swapped out for a full efficacy data machine.

(06-24-2014, 04:39 PM)lac47 Wrote: Thanks, all!
Zonk, just confirmed # and mine is a 260; there is no 'S'. Was going to ask for the DS460.
You should have insisted on the DS460; it records full efficacy data.

Quote:I'm confused; I have a System One Heated Humidifier - REF DS6HFCG. Is that a heated tube humidifier or just a humidifier? That would determine if I request a DS460 TS or HS, correct?
The DS460 TS and DS260 TS come with the heated humidifier that is compatible with the PR heated hose.

The DS460 HS and DS60 HS come with a heated humidifier that is NOT compatible with the PR heated hose.

Quote:Bama Rambler - I thought I had air leaking and don't know if CPAP is solving my issues, so that is exactly what I said. Smile
As I said earlier, without the leak data, there's no way to tell if air leaking is an issue. Without the efficacy data there's no way to tell if the CPAP is solving your issues.

Quote:Called DME - they "don't have that data-capable machine (460)" (?) and they "record it all for me anyway"...rep gave me some stats over the phone; pretty good - no apneas at least, thankfully, with minimal leaking.
The machine records no data except for usage data. Either they're lying through their teeth or they're woefully ignorant. Ask for a written copy of the report that shows you have no apeas while using the machine and minimal leaking and see what they say. Be insistent.

Here's the thing: It is really, really unusual for a PAPer to have NO apneas night after night for three weeks. Most of us have a treated AHI in the 0.5-3.0 range every single night that we're using the machine. So we have apneas; it's just that we don't have 20-30 or more apneas every single hour we're asleep. We have 0-20 apneas per NIGHT.

Quote:But I want more and daily info. Called Dr. & his staff was helpful; they will ask Dr. about a new machine; maybe change DME if they can't provide correct machine. I'll call back Wed. to give dr. the specifics and "dispense as written" request. I appreciate the info! One day at a time with this new process...
Good luck

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2014, 04:39 PM)lac47 Wrote: Is that a heated tube humidifier or just a humidifier? That would determine if I request a DS460 TS or HS, correct?
HS - System One humidifier and SD card
This humidifier will not work with the heated tube, and will come with the 60 watt power cord and regular 15mm tube

TS = System One Heated Tube humidifier and SD card
This humidifier will work with the heated tube, and will come with the 80 watt power cord and heated tube.

System One comparison guide
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....-guide.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Erasing data on machine sleepingbetterinFl 8 221 03-11-2024, 03:03 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Feedback and Help on OSCAR Data, I am a new user of a CPAP machine and feel tired! fdm1990 3 537 11-29-2023, 01:39 AM
Last Post: fdm1990
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,166 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Any other option to download data from machine? BlueSky1958 2 440 07-02-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Keep waking up while using CPAP machine, oscar data attached. bigmit2011 5 1,147 03-29-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Help with OSCAR data and machine settings bethose 1 423 03-12-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Sending Machine Data to Someone Else? GrantT 5 647 02-17-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: GrantT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.