Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Want Data-Capable Machine / Scent
RE: Want Data-Capable Machine / Scent
(06-24-2014, 03:15 PM)tcarmen Wrote: It works fine with the software. I'm using it with that machine. You might need a newer version, or there's something else going on.

not the plus, it's a brick.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2014, 03:56 PM)Bama Rambler Wrote: Since you have the REMstar Plus, SleepyHead won't work with it. Unfortunately the "Plus" is a usage only machine. It doesn't record any detailed data that SleepyHead needs.

Yeah, sorry, the Remstar Plus was my old machine.

About the only thing it keeps track of is hours of runtime. There's no data there.

Post Reply Post Reply
You have all given me really good info; I feel really dumb---I was totally lied to by DME. I'll be back on the phone tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
When the DME told you that the data shows no leaks or apneas, he wasn't lying.

What he told you is referred to as a vacuous truth. It's true because the data for that machine will NEVER show leaks or apneas.

In other words, he's either deceiving you intentionally or he's really stoopid.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see your point. They must be trained well in what NOT to say...
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2014, 02:48 PM)lac47 Wrote: Can I ask DME provider or dr. to change machine just so I can download my own data? Do most DME's and doctors know CPAP users do this? Anyone have experience with changing machines just for this reason?

1) You can ask. The insurance pays for a CPAP and you got a CPAP.

2) Only a small percentage of PAP users are interested in tracking their daily PAP usage.

3) If your DME won't change the machine, you can change DME's (assuming other DME's participate with your insurance). I am also in Michigan and know some companies give "bricks" and some that will give fully downloadable machines.

If you do switch DME's, double check whether your humidifier was done as a "purchase" or a "rental" (depends on the insurance). If purchase, keep the humidifier/mask/tubing. If rental, still keep the mask/tubing (those are always purchase).

Post Reply Post Reply
As far as scent, I would assume you are picking up something from motor.

It should have diminished (or gone away) by 3 weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it were me I would insist on APAP with heated hose, ds560TS and nothing less. I would insist that the doctor write the prescription that way and insist that the DME fill it that way.
When I walked into my DME to pick up my machine, the very nice very ignorant RT had it set up on the table when I walked into the room. I could see from the doorway that it did not have the proper connection for a heated hose. She argued with me for a minute, than went to check the prescription and inventory and returned with the proper humidifier and hose. It is so important to do your research in this strange new world and provide clear and explicit instructions to everyone you deal with along the way. Trust but VERIFY.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 09:05 AM)jaycee Wrote: 2) Only a small percentage of PAP users are interested in tracking their daily PAP usage.

The ignorance of the patient is somewhat understandable. It's criminal that only a small percentage of the doctors bother to properly check their patient's CPAP data. How can anyone who understands CPAP think it's OK to look at data from a single night in a lab vs. getting some pretty good data every single night in the patient's actual bed? Especially when it's almost no extra effort or cost to the patient.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 09:42 AM)bwexler Wrote: If it were me I would insist on APAP with heated hose, ds560TS and nothing less. I would insist that the doctor write the prescription that way and insist that the DME fill it that way.

I am not sure I understand the benefit of the APAP vs. the CPAP. Is that something everyone eventually needs during their course of therapy over the years? Is it an easier machine to fine tune everything with if my pressures change later on, or based on the data I hope to obtain soon? I am new to all of this and don't know what to expect in a year, 5, 10 years, etc.

Also, can I use the hose unheated when necessary?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Erasing data on machine sleepingbetterinFl 8 217 03-11-2024, 03:03 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Feedback and Help on OSCAR Data, I am a new user of a CPAP machine and feel tired! fdm1990 3 536 11-29-2023, 01:39 AM
Last Post: fdm1990
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,143 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Any other option to download data from machine? BlueSky1958 2 439 07-02-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Keep waking up while using CPAP machine, oscar data attached. bigmit2011 5 1,146 03-29-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Help with OSCAR data and machine settings bethose 1 423 03-12-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Sending Machine Data to Someone Else? GrantT 5 647 02-17-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: GrantT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.