Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Want Data-Capable Machine / Scent
RE: Want Data-Capable Machine / Scent
(06-25-2014, 09:09 AM)jaycee Wrote: As far as scent, I would assume you are picking up something from motor.

It should have diminished (or gone away) by 3 weeks.

That is possible. I hope it dissipates soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
An APAP machine can be set to CPAP mode if that is desired. The reverse is not true.
With APAP you can set a range of pressures (8-14) for example and the machine will auto adjust as your sleep stage or position change during the night. REM sleep may require different pressure. Sleeping on you back rather than side may require different pressure. If your machine does not auto adjust you may not get optimal treatment throughout the night.
The heated hose and humidifier settings are all adjustable and can be turned off. If you don't have the heated hose option you can't turn it on when you need it.
Would you buy a car without a heater, air conditioner and radio. These items may not be turned on all the time but are very helpful when they are needed or desired.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 02:18 PM)lac47 Wrote: I am not sure I understand the benefit of the APAP vs. the CPAP. Is that something everyone eventually needs during their course of therapy over the years? Is it an easier machine to fine tune everything with if my pressures change later on, or based on the data I hope to obtain soon? I am new to all of this and don't know what to expect in a year, 5, 10 years, etc.

Also, can I use the hose unheated when necessary?

The pressure you require to keep your apneas in check change thought the night and over time if you gain/lose weight/etc.

The APAP (auto) machines adjust the pressure as needed, without using more pressure than necessary. They also typically have good data collection, which means you can tell what was going on when you slept and if everything is working as it should.

The auto machines can also be set to a single fixed pressure if needed, and still collect data.

The hose is completely up to you, and depends on if you're getting condensation in the hose, and if it bothers you. The heated hose is supposed to stop that, but I don't have one, so I can't say either way.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 02:18 PM)lac47 Wrote: I am not sure I understand the benefit of the APAP vs. the CPAP. Is that something everyone eventually needs during their course of therapy over the years? Is it an easier machine to fine tune everything with if my pressures change later on, or based on the data I hope to obtain soon?

The APAP adjusts the pressure throughout the night, changing it as needed. For example, if you roll over onto your back it might see a change in your breathing pattern and raise the pressure to prevent apneas and hypopneas.

A CPAP machine cannot do this, but if the APAP does not adjust itself to your needs properly, you can put it in CPAP mode.

Quote:I am new to all of this and don't know what to expect in a year, 5, 10 years, etc.

You'll probably be changing machines before that much time goes by, anyway. Your old machine will either wear out or become obsolete. Manufacturers are improving these machines at a rapid pace.

Quote:Also, can I use the hose unheated when necessary?

Yes. You can turn it off if you don't want to use it. It's fully adjustable.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 02:18 PM)lac47 Wrote: I am not sure I understand the benefit of the APAP vs. the CPAP.
First of all, insurance reimbursement code (E0601) is the same for either machine and they pay same amount too. It does not cost a penny more if you get top of the range machine or cost them less if you get machine from the bottom range. All machines gives them what they want which is compliance that you,re using the machine 70% of the time, 4 hours, for the first 30 days or something that

If you don,t have insurance, easy peasy ... price of APAP is some $40 more and you get more than one machine
you get two machine for the price one
Machine can be used in CPAP mode, deliver constant pressure all night long
and
Auto-adjusting mode if desired and can be useful if the sleep study titration far from perfect which is the case in many cases like my sleep study, after all spending one night in strange surroundings is not like sleeping in the comfort of your own bed in your own home

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 02:18 PM)lac47 Wrote: I am not sure I understand the benefit of the APAP vs. the CPAP. Is that something everyone eventually needs during their course of therapy over the years? Is it an easier machine to fine tune everything with if my pressures change later on, or based on the data I hope to obtain soon? I am new to all of this and don't know what to expect in a year, 5, 10 years, etc.

Also, can I use the hose unheated when necessary?

Yes, you can turn off the heat on the hose. It's probably better to use a cheaper unheated hose. I believe all the current CPAP machines will automatically switch to unheated hose mode if you use an unheated hose.

Almost all auto CPAP machines can be set in manual CPAP mode, so there's basically no disadvantage to getting the auto. The cost difference is very minimal, especially for a machine that you'll use for years.

If you get the manual CPAP and decide later you need APAP or want to try it, you have to buy a new machine. The Auto CPAP can be set to manual if that works better for you.

Used correctly, most people do better with Auto. It allows you to use a lower pressure most of the time, and still ramp up the pressure a bit when you need it. This can make it more comfortable, reduce aerophagia (gas).

If you use auto, it should not usually be left in the default "full auto" pressure range of 4-20. Normally, you would set the minimum pressure to something close to what you need for most nights. This is the worst myth about auto. Many dumb doctors, DME's, and RT's seem to think the only way to use an APAP is "wide open" full auto 4-20 pressure.

Auto can cause problems for some people. The pressure changes bother some people. If the starting pressure is too low, you may feel like you're suffocating. Sometimes the pressure changes may make it difficult to make the mask fit. You put it on at a low pressure and it may leak when the pressure goes up.

All of these "auto" problems can be fixed by reducing the range of pressure. For some people, you reduce the pressure range to 0 or turn off auto entirely and run as a manual CPAP.

In my opinion, most new CPAPers should be started off with an auto machine with a pressure range near what the doctor thinks the pressure setting should be. Then the data should be analyzed to see if the patient needs a different pressure range. This lets the patient get the benefit of CPAP with the minimum amount of side effects.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 02:18 PM)lac47 Wrote: Also, can I use the hose unheated when necessary?
I,m not sure on this one, using 15/22 mm hose (unheated) if you need to change the humidifier lid cover or/and different power supply
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 04:26 PM)zonk Wrote: First of all, insurance reimbursement code (E0601) is the same for either machine and they pay same amount too.

After talking to my insurance company today I'm not so sure they pay the same amount for both. They can't tell me and the only way to find out is by actually getting them and seeing how much they actually pay.

What a racket.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So much great information -- very appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,
I am STILL arguing with DME about new machine...saying they still don't have/cannot get the one I want. (They made me wait till they mailed me my "data" -- only all compliance data. Are they so uneducated to see it has NO MEDICAL INFORMATION?!) Oh-jeez My doctor's office is trying to help by calling a new DME yesterday. New DME rep is "talking to owner" today to see if they are willing to give me machine I want while they "lose 3 months of insurance payments" that current DME has billed my insurance for already. Insurance company says all DMEs will have the same issue. They receive 10 months of payment, then I own the machine. SOOO very frustrated! Calling all my insurance-approved DMEs today. Hoping for good news from the new DME, or I find one which is in the business of helping patients and not only worried about their reimbursement.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Erasing data on machine sleepingbetterinFl 8 228 03-11-2024, 03:03 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Feedback and Help on OSCAR Data, I am a new user of a CPAP machine and feel tired! fdm1990 3 537 11-29-2023, 01:39 AM
Last Post: fdm1990
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,199 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Any other option to download data from machine? BlueSky1958 2 441 07-02-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Keep waking up while using CPAP machine, oscar data attached. bigmit2011 5 1,149 03-29-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Help with OSCAR data and machine settings bethose 1 424 03-12-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Sending Machine Data to Someone Else? GrantT 5 647 02-17-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: GrantT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.