Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Want to IMPROVE please respond
Question 
Want to IMPROVE please respond
I’m a new CPAP user. I just picked up my Philips Respironics Dreamstation 2 days ago. I’m also using the DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask. According to the docs, I have interrupted sleeps on average 17 times per hour so I’m rated at moderate.
Everyone I talked to told me once you get the CPAP, its life changing. I don’t know if this is the case with me. Since I only used it twice, is there a break-in period and I won’t see good results for a few weeks? Or is it possible that I won’t ever have a live changing event since my case is moderate compared to people that are severe cases?
I woke up this morning and I’m still tired but I’m not super wasted either or extremely fatigued. I was hoping I would feel like others have told me, refreshed, energized, life changing.

Some additional questions in reference to my screenshot I have shared.

·         My AHI says 5.7 is this high for wearing a mask?

·         Is the AHI from the dreammapper software average per hour?

·         When it says 7:36 hours, does that mean how long the machine was running or how long the Philips Respironics Dreamstation determined I was sleeping?

·         When the Clear Airway Apnea, Obstructive Apnea, or Hypopneas also be from me be a false  positive from when I got up to go to the bathroom and took off my mask while it was still running?

Please share you thought… I really want to improve.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Want to IMPROVE please respond
(03-16-2020, 10:32 AM)want2catchsomez Wrote: I’m a new CPAP user. I just picked up my Philips Respironics Dreamstation 2 days ago. I’m also using the DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask. According to the docs, I have interrupted sleeps on average 17 times per hour so I’m rated at moderate.

Welcome, and congratulations on starting therapy for your apnea!

Everyone I talked to told me once you get the CPAP, its life changing. I don’t know if this is the case with me. Since I only used it twice, is there a break-in period and I won’t see good results for a few weeks? Or is it possible that I won’t ever have a live changing event since my case is moderate compared to people that are severe cases?

I woke up this morning and I’m still tired but I’m not super wasted either or extremely fatigued. I was hoping I would feel like others have told me, refreshed, energized, life changing.

While there are some people who get instant positive results, for most of us the process is more gradual. With patience, you will be seeing signs of improvement and realize you're headed for the results you want. It isn't possible to say how long that will take for you, but it sounds as though you are already feeling a little better, which is a good sign.

Some additional questions in reference to my screenshot I have shared.

·         My AHI says 5.7 is this high for wearing a mask?

Yes.  The experts here will be happy to help you adjust your settings so that you get better results (ideally below around AHI of 2 most nights).

·         Is the AHI from the dreammapper software average per hour?

Anything with "I" is an average per hour.  The "I" stands for "index."

·         When it says 7:36 hours, does that mean how long the machine was running or how long the Philips Respironics Dreamstation determined I was sleeping?

How long the machine was running.  The machines aren't able to tell when we are asleep.

·         When the Clear Airway Apnea, Obstructive Apnea, or Hypopneas also be from me be a false  positive from when I got up to go to the bathroom and took off my mask while it was still running?

No.  If the mask is off and the machine is still running, what you'll get is a large leak.

Please share you thought… I really want to improve.

What the experts need before they can help you is more information.  Please download the Oscar software (see link at top of page).  Check that there's an SD card in your machine; if there isn't, buy one and stick it in the card slot on the left side of the machine.  Also check that your laptop or desktop has an SD card reader; if it doesn't, buy one (e.g., at a camera shop or any computer store).  Next, after one night with the card in the slot, take the card out and follow the instructions for importing your data from the card to the Oscar software.  Then follow instructions in the Oscar wiki for formatting your daily chart.  Upload a daily chart, and voila!  It sounds more laborious than it actually is, and if you hit a snag, just let us know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board. For best results that will benefit you, download OSCAR and see the link in my signature on standard chart setup. You will also need an SD card of between 2-32 GB in SD or SDHC of whichever name you find that's least expensive, in case your machine didn't include one. This request is so sleep data is presented in a standard look most AB members should be familiar with. You will benefit because you will see directly much more info than you've been presented otherwise.

Another pointer is to post a redacted, detailed sleep report so this will give us some history on your apnea, and you should have it in your personal health file. It is your report and are legally allowed to obtain a copy.

These 2 things combined help us form suggestions on machine settings that are best suited to your therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you you both for your responses especially Dormeo . You were very detailed and provided a worth of input.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Another question, since I'm wearing the nasal mask is it normal to open your mouth during your sleep several times at night? I don't know if I'm doing this just wondering if I do several times is it acceptable?

I was thinking of putting web cam on myself tonight to check.

Please advise,
Post Reply Post Reply
Best practice is not to open your mouth in this scenario. It will probably increase large leaks, create an uncomfortable dry mouth, and potentially reduce effective therapy. In cases of this happening frequently, possible resolutions are: using a soft collar to restrict mouth opening, medical taping, or an accessory cap like Knightsbridge that has adjustable straps to keep the mouth closed. If all fail or are otherwise eliminated to reduce large leaking, then you'd need to consider a full face mask.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once you get going with Oscar, we can easily see whether you're having short, modest mouth leaks or longer, large leaks.

You might want to start practicing using your tongue to produce a seal, even if your lips part. Place the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth, press the middle and back of your tongue up against your palate, and give a little swallow or suck to produce some suction. You can practice during the day as well as at night.

If your jaw drops, the seal will probably break. In that case, do try a soft cervical collar, as Sleeprider suggests, or a more rigid snore collar (half-collar, actually).
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my data with OSCAR. I hope this will shed some light on what your thoughts are. Thanks in advance!

Post Reply Post Reply
Good job getting Oscar and getting charts posted! No need to change these; in the future you only need to include the one screenshot that has Events at the top. And if you could get rid of the pie chart and calendar, that'd be good (though I'm not sure they are actually hiding anything on your screenshot).

The PR machines show total leak, which includes intentional "leaks" created by the venting system. Although I'm not a PR user, to my eye your leak levels look fine. Others may want to chime in on that.

I would like an expert to advise you about your pressure settings. My guess is that you will be asked to raise your minimum pressure to help reduce obstructive events. Do you know how to do that? You will find instructions by following the link at the top of the page for CPAP Setup Manuals.

Stay tuned for some expert advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest as Dormeo said take off pie chart and calendar and I'd include turning off VS2 flags to clean up charts. You might need a bump upwards in pressure, but let's see what others better at charts say. I do know typically we suggest to Respironics users to get their pressure set close/just below to their 95% EPAP. Keep at it, you're doing good according to the numbers. Hope therapy is feeling OK.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 Respond Questions SheShells23 12 457 03-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,273 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 521 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Improve Respiratory Rate? MrIvanDrago 4 341 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Improve my CPAP Performance dpoelker 4 258 02-06-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  I'm new. Shouldn't my machine respond more BeautifulDay 15 754 12-19-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New CPAP user here. Ready to learn. Please advise how I can improve! Sleepyman12 4 500 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.