Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Want to IMPROVE please respond
RE: Want to IMPROVE please respond
You and Bonjour posted at almost the same time; you now have your expert opinion. To answer your question, the machine will not go below the minimum pressure setting, so if that is too low, you need to raise it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The wide-open pressure setup the medical community loves to suggest is good for the first night to see how you respond. When I see wide open settings I assume that is someone who needs settings to be optimized.  Rarely we see someone whom that works for.

PR machines respond very slowly so to perform well they need to be closer to the level they need to be at to treat your events.  Thus we almost always work on increasing the minimum settings to manage obstructive events.  For the Maximum setting, that too depends on the individual.  We actually like to see a fairly small difference between the actual min and max pressures that show up.  I have the max set at the machines max for 2 reasons, I tolerate high pressures with no problems, and my actual high is always very close to my min pressure, in other words, I have very little fluctuation. 

The same principles apply to other brands but with PR adjusting the min is critical.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome I'll adjust and thank you for the reply. Also have you seen cases making adjustments will tick off the provider? Has this happened?  Just curious.

Thanks in advance,
Post Reply Post Reply
Provider as in DME? Oh yes, they will feel threatened by you self adjusting, they'd say it's illegal or you may blow up a lung. BOGUS!

Will insurance care? NO. They require a compliance of use period. You must prove that if they pay for the machine you will use it. I told my insurance I would adjust my own. I stated I didn't have time to waste in making a doc consultation to discuss adjustments and extra time for doc to decide he'd approve adjusting. His adjusted settings would have been hit or miss anyway. He's not wearing the mask.

It's far more streamlined to approach it this way: I need to bump the EPAP, I reach over and enter clinical mode, I make the adjustment and lock it in and exit clinical. 10 seconds at most vs doc appointment method of days or weeks. NOPE!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is illegal for THEM to deviate from the prescribed pressures, but it is absolutely not illegal for YOU to change your pressures. Sometimes calm, reasoned communication works; sometimes you just have to ignore the DME and do what you need to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to get the clinician manual from AB. It will tell you how to make the changes.

It is better to not even contact the DME.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2020, 02:12 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: It's far more streamlined to approach it this way: I need to bump the EPAP, I reach over and enter clinical mode, I make the adjustment and lock it in and exit clinical. 10 seconds at most vs doc appointment method of days or weeks. NOPE!
Sparky, I think it's more often months, not days or weeks.  

Besides, there are all those docs that say, "that's an improvement,  I'm glad I thought of it, what did you say those settings are so I have them in your records."  They sre much more accomodating when it works, and most that stick it out here don't get worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll make the adjustments. It's from the VA Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to make the changes tonight to 7 as the suggested pressure setting since mine is 6. The questions is what do I change. I thought it would be easy but IPAP, EPAP, cmH2O...

Please advise what I should change...

Thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
sounds like you know how it is bonjour, no surpirse there

Setting edit: you would enter clinician mode, scroll down to where pressure is 6, click on the wheel to highlight, scroll wheel to go up to 7 and click in on the wheel to lock it in, exit clinical
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 Respond Questions SheShells23 12 460 03-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,283 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Improve Respiratory Rate? MrIvanDrago 4 343 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Improve my CPAP Performance dpoelker 4 260 02-06-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  I'm new. Shouldn't my machine respond more BeautifulDay 15 755 12-19-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New CPAP user here. Ready to learn. Please advise how I can improve! Sleepyman12 4 501 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.