Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Want to know what sucks is?
(05-18-2015, 03:28 PM)AlanE Wrote:
(05-18-2015, 01:33 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: do the measured individual run and start windings equal the measured total of both?
ex 20 ohm + 60 ohm = 80? ie checking for shorts between windings. No grounds?
has it oil ports?
not uncommon to run ok cold and seize hot

Ya know - I can't remember now but it didn't stand out in my mind as not adding up so it must have? hehe heat has affected the brain.

No oil ports. I didn't check the bearings for play. To late in the day to worry about it.

(05-18-2015, 04:34 PM)AlanE Wrote: Yeah, it's the afternoon rain that makes it worse. We're close enough to the Gulf that we usually stay below 95. When you add all the rain, it doesn't cool it off that's for sure just makes it a sauna. I shut off the solar in the pool hoping it would cool down into the 80's. I think we'll be using it tonight even though it's still 92.

Not me I would go out midday and ride my bike and make my own wind. Rain felt great. I weighed a lot less and felt a lot better! My wife now has grandkids and so here I am back in Sinus Valley Ohio .....
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2015, 06:26 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Not me I would go out midday and ride my bike and make my own wind. Rain felt great. I weighed a lot less and felt a lot better! My wife now has grandkids and so here I am back in Sinus Valley Ohio .....

2 grandkids here. They live in western Massachusetts. They visit once a year. Too cold up there for her now. Though I bet today she wouldn't be complaining. Bigwink Some day they'll migrate here. Most of the rest of her family is here or in the process of moving here.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
You wanna adopt me?
Post Reply Post Reply

Bring the beer, you have a deal.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2015, 04:34 PM)AlanE Wrote: Yeah, it's the afternoon rain that makes it worse. We're close enough to the Gulf that we usually stay below 95. When you add all the rain, it doesn't cool it off that's for sure just makes it a sauna. I shut off the solar in the pool hoping it would cool down into the 80's. I think we'll be using it tonight even though it's still 92.

That is not a pool. It is an oversized bathtub. Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2015, 01:33 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: do the measured individual run and start windings equal the measured total of both?
ex 20 ohm + 60 ohm = 80? ie checking for shorts between windings. No grounds?
has it oil ports?
not uncommon to run ok cold and seize hot

I went out and checked my work. No grounds, one side read 55Ω the other 60Ω together it was 115.1Ω +-a tenth or two.

1 thing I didn't mention because It seemed like had nothing to do with the fan and I wanted to research this some. The previous owner had or had sold to her a product called a "Super Booster" which I found out was a Hard Start kit. It was jumped across the run cap side. In doing some reading they typically don't use these on scroll compressors. I wonder why they bothered. This was the thing that just disintegrated when I touched it. It wasn't working obviously. I'm not an AC guy so I don't know if I really need to replace this?

Oh and the other thing I didn't mention was the dead lizard draped across the cap terminals. Sorry no pic on that Smile

Whats left of the hard start:
[Image: IMG-20150519-00113.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply

(05-18-2015, 07:36 PM)PaytonA Wrote: That is not a pool. It is an oversized bathtub. Huh

In more ways than one. It's a small pool and that's what I call it, our bathtub. Can't dive in it without risking life or limb or head. Deepest part is 5 1/2'. I can stand on the bottom of the 'deep end' and not have to hold my breath.

Post Reply Post Reply
Personally I think a start capacitor and relay is always a good idea. Especially if you might run it on a genny or prone to brown outs. Occasionally you find a compressor with a "dead spot" ie bad winding that is not fatal yet that can be kept going for a while. Manufactures can save a buck by leaving it off so they do and any HP ctl board or digital tstat will feature a 5 min time delay. It kicks the compressor over quicker and therefore less high amp time. For the cost of a addon hard start kit my vote is replace it.
Post Reply Post Reply
So - (yes poking fun at other thread) Wink - I'm replacing the fan motor. I got the new cap and conductor installed. in 10 minutes thanks to mother nature tossing lighting around. Threw the switch and everything came on but the fan... I took a screw driver and spun the fan and it took off and has been running since. My guess, the start side of the motor is kaput. New motor on the way.

Post Reply Post Reply

The capacitor is to correct for the power factor. Power factor is the cosine of the phase angle between Voltage and Current. The motor winding has inductive reactance; that reactance is highest when the motor is not turning. The normal run capacitor is "sized" to correct the power factor when running by adding capacitive reactance which is 180 degrees out of phase from inductive reactance.. The hard start cap also has a cutout relay to remove it from the circuit after cold start. Probably as simple as a thermal switch. If the compressor starts without the hard start -- leave it out. Just another failure point.
Post Reply Post Reply