Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Want to know what to expect....
Want to know what to expect....
Hey everybody! I am new, too. I have been using my new rig for a week now, and like so many others, am wondering what I can expect as time goes on. It looks like I am a fortunate one, because I have been astonished at the difference I seem to be experiencing just a week into my therapy. I am waking up once or twice a night to go to the bathroom (typical 51 year old male problem), but other than that, I am sleeping through the night with my machine running, I am waking up more alert than I have in years, and I am making it significantly further through my work day before I start feeling tired. I don't mean to sound spoiled or anything, but can I be hopeful that this is real, that it will continue, and maybe even improve further? I am so surprised at the difference that I feel already that I am worried that maybe I am setting myself up for a dose of reality later on. I wish that I had started this years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Want to know what to expect....
Hello! Welcome to the board! I've only been using my machine for 2 weeks now so I can't really say what you can expect, just wanted to welcome you. These folks have been very nice and helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello and welcome.

While I have not done a 'poll' on this subject (hint, hint) - I have seen and read a wide range of responses. Both my wife and I love our machines and took very little time to become adjusted to them (my big fight is about masks), while others hate their's, refuse to use them, get rid of them, and all the ranges in between.

I *think* it comes down to how bad you are, how much change you are willing to accept to achieve a result, and how well you were dialed-in at the beginning.

In my case, I was so bad, that practically anything was an improvement (I never dreamed, woke with headaches daily, could not eat til I'd been up for hours, etc). Be happy, don't wait for the axe to fall, stock-pile spares, name your machine, and love it Smile
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ChileBurnze,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's GREAT to hear that you are adjusting well to CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
ChileBurnze, welcome, it's different for everyone because everyone is different, most people get a sudden burst of energy especially after their first night or two on CPAP, then it seems to go back to where they were and as we slowly heal we seem to get better and better gradually and over time. Then by about 3 -6 months we start to really feel the effects. Just remember this is a treatment not a cure, so you will have to use it everytime you sleep and for the rest of your life. If you go off it, within a few days you will be back where you were. Good luck with it and you seem to have the right attitude, I'm also a 51 year old man and the toilet trips also seem to become less frequent and I have loved my CPAP the whole two and a half years I have been on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ChileBurnze
Definitely, the benefits will continue but don,t get surprised if some problems crops up along the way. No journey without any problems, there is a solution once a problem is identified

I've been on PAP for nearly 3 years, took me nearly a year to feel the benefits. Nice not to wake up with thumping headache in the morning or doze off in front of TV or at the movies
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2013, 12:24 PM)SabrinaFaire Wrote: Hello! Welcome to the board! I've only been using my machine for 2 weeks now so I can't really say what you can expect, just wanted to welcome you. These folks have been very nice and helpful.

Thanks forThanksCoffee the compliment!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info, Folks, and for the encouragement. I have been browsing around the forum for a couple of days now, reading pretty much everything that's here. The biggest thing that I have gotten from it all is that y'all are one big bunch of great people! The atmosphere of helpfulness, support, and compassion is VERY prominent here, not to mention all of the insight, experience, and technical information. This is a community that is VERY WELL DONE, and I hope nobody minds if I just go on ahead and make myself at home. Kudos to all!
Many thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night, don't know what to expect Albo1950 4 545 07-23-2023, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Albo1950
  What can I expect from the DVLA (UK) after reporting OSA? Quarky68 1 655 06-21-2023, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
  What to expect from DME Sorfosh 10 1,073 03-24-2023, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Sorfosh
  Can use some advice on what to expect and what to do first. triemferent 15 1,628 09-27-2020, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  How soon to expect results Linnea 5 1,538 04-24-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Linnea
  What AHI figure should I expect to see? ghce 16 2,575 04-22-2018, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Apnea Infant
  spouse goes for sleep study soon...what to expect after? mavericktx 21 3,681 01-30-2018, 10:10 AM
Last Post: ghstudio

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.