Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Want to make sure I understand why data capable is desired.
Want to make sure I understand why data capable is desired.
I still don't have the results from my sleep study, I assume the results will reach my doctor early this week. And might be another week before I get set up with anything, especially considering the holiday this week in the US.

But in case I have sell my doctor on why I want the things recommended on this board, I want to make sure I understand why it's recommended. I understand why auto is desired. And I believe data capable is because with all that extra data, I can use something like the sleepyhead software and make my own adjustments if necessary, instead of potentially having to go back to my doctor often just to say "I don't think this is working well for me, I don't know why" as well as better data for the doctor to see how well, or not well, the treatment is working.

I have seen the wiki with the list of preferred machines. The impression I got from my visit previous to the sleep study, was that if I needed a machine I would come back to see the doctor and they would give me a machine. The exact words used were "We will get you back in and set up with something" So I don't know if that means I'll have a rental situation, or where a DME might come into play, if she meant I'd be given a script to fill with a DME or whatever. Mysteries for the future to solve.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Want to make sure I understand why data capable is desired.
Data capable is desired so you can verify better whether your treatment is working well or not.

Whether you want to avoid going to your doctor or not is separate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2015, 06:01 PM)SephixT Wrote: And I believe data capable is because with all that extra data, I can use something like the sleepyhead software and make my own adjustments if necessary, instead of potentially having to go back to my doctor often just to say "I don't think this is working well for me, I don't know why" as well as better data for the doctor to see how well, or not well, the treatment is working.

It makes no difference if it's the doctor or you who's looking. Either the data is there or it isn't. In that sense there's no such thing as "better" data.

If the doctor doesn't want the data, then he's a doctor who's not looking out for your best interests. If you don't want the data then that's all that matters. Fly blind!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even if you choose to never tweak a setting, looking at the detailed data will give you insight into what's happening.
The purpose is patient empowerment. Many people walk in and take whatever machine is offered to them.

You never have more power over machine selection than before you accept a machine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
First of all, without data, there is no diagnoses for OSA
If you need data for the diagnoses, then you also need data for on-going evaluation of the treatment
Just like CT scan or MRI, without them, the doctor cannot make the right diagnoses or prescribe the right treatment

Bricks should be outlawed and hefty fines for anyone selling bricks, unless used in building constructions or perhaps door stoppers Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
I can see that now... a building bricked up with non data producing CPAPs.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure all the docs know what kinds of machines are out there being trialled and perhaps sold. When I went in after my first month of CPAP the sleep doc wanted to see the data and seemed surprised that I had a machine that did not provide it.

But I definitely agree with zonk's logic of ongoing data analysis.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Most sleep docs know one thing. What pressure a sleep study says you need and what type of apnea you have.
If you check the settings they will set an auto at pretty much come from a little hand book from the machines maker.
You can find them online.
You need data so once you understand SA you can optimize your treatment.
You are really the only one that cares. As long as you are compliant and the cash is flowing, the DME nor the Doc give a rip.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2015, 08:35 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: You are really the only one that cares. As long as you are compliant and the cash is flowing, the DME nor the Doc give a rip.

Well, I think that's perhaps a bit unfair. What we can say for sure is that no matter how much the Dr. cares about you, you almost certainly care more about yourself. And you have much more time available to educate yourself on your particular therapy situation than the doctor with many patients ever does.

After a couple of months of looking at your data every day you might well know more about what your particular data means than any doctor will.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Also there is not much price difference between, bricks, fixed data capable machines and APAPs
You could get S9 AutoSet or PRS1 Auto (both top notch APAP machines) for less than the price of the newer AirSense 10 CPAP or DreamStation CPAP (both are bricks)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 24 544 2 minutes ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 88 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 213 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 271 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 984 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 352 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.