Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Warranty reimbursement for rental
Warranty reimbursement for rental
Has anyone had an issue with their CPAP/BiPAP when it is under warranty and personally paid for a rental until their DME could replace the broken unit? Did you try to get reimbursed?

My mom's System One Bi-PAP stopped working in the middle of the night when we were out-of-state- after 14 months of use. "Device inoperative" error message. If it turned on, it shut right back off. The DME has no out-of-state services. Phillips has a referral service that found me a similar unit about an hour away that I could rent for $25 a night. I was told her unit was under warranty. With Medicare you rent the unit for 13 months, then you own it. Therefore, the DME company was not receiving payment so I could not get reimbursed from them directly.
DME researched it and told me that Philliips does not reimburse for rental units. I contacted Phillips themselves and spoke to a supervisor who talked to others about our situation. Final answer is they do not reimburse for rental units during the warranty period nor do they cover rental units if the warranty is over and you need to send the machine to them to have it repaired. Luckily, the rental bill was only $60 but it could've been much more based on how long we were away.

FYI- if it does happen to you...
I was initially told my DME that we needed to wait to get back in town to have someone come to the house to verify it didn't work and to "troubleshoot" it. Then, the DME would contact Phillips for return authorization, then someone would come back to house with a replacement. I ended up talking to Phillips support directly. As soon as I said what the error was, she said it needed to be returned and gave me RGA to give to DME. This allowed us to have the tech come to the house with new unit the same day we returned to town.
I spent literally 2 hrs on the phone explaining the situation and trying to figure out a replacement and rental but it can be done!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Warranty reimbursement for rental
First, this is why many have backup units. My DME provides a free backup during the rental period if you have warranty issues, but I'm not sure that would apply out of state.

Thanks for the other info. Not sure if it applies to Resmed, but my bro has a Phillips bipap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Warranty reimbursement for rental
I am lucky. If my A10 were to break during the warranty, I would head across town for one that I could borrow if it could not be fixed immediately. I have spares for everything other than the machine itself and I intend to purchase a backup machine before the end of the warranty period. The last thing I want to do is have to rely on someone at the long end of a phone line for help.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 warranty case labrat 3 187 03-21-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] SD card voids warranty? DTDude 20 1,209 11-30-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Has Anyone Used Carecentrix? Airsense 11 Rental $1585 Richard32 7 1,004 01-17-2023, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Richard32
  cpap machine rental ajwees41 2 787 07-14-2022, 04:33 PM
Last Post: ajwees41
  Advice on buying rental CPAPS online fincy 2 703 06-21-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: SleepinAZ
  Machine Rental? ApneaticBill 11 1,152 06-10-2022, 03:59 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  [Equipment] O2 Concentrator: Purity of output airstream? Rental? Refurbishment? Ozone? joeb 16 1,738 01-07-2022, 06:12 AM
Last Post: Ratchick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.