Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wash frequency Cpap hose cover and headgear
Wash frequency Cpap hose cover and headgear
Hello everyone

How often do you wash your mask headgear. I usually wash mine once a week at the same time as the mask. but maybe i'd save some drying time if i do it separatly on a different frequency.
And how frequently would one need to wash hose cover? 

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wash frequency Cpap hose cover and headgear
I rarely wash a CPAP tube, maybe 6-months. I launder may tube cover when I feel it needs it, and just throw it in with the sheets. Headgear when stained or dirty, mask frame rarely, cushions daily.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cushion: Daily

Connector(s) weekly 

Hose: Monthly, inspect weekly 

Reservoir: Top up daily rinse weakly and inspect. Using distilled water

I suspect the hose will see the least amount of contamination due to the constant airflow preventing anything from entering it apart from the humidity level. My thought is washing it out and leaving it wet is likely a better breading ground for nasties than just leaving it alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
the only things I wash somewhat regularly are the mask frame (to clean the vent mesh) and nasal pillow. every three days as recommended when I first started, now maybe once a month, probably longer. when the crud on the nasal pillow is clearly visible and/or when it smells too much of bad breath. I used to wash the headgear/strap weekly but the p10 strap is so cheaply made, washing just hastens the weakening and tearing of the pocket by which it's fastened to the frame. (I bought some $5 usd Medihealer aftermarket straps that are hotter against my skin but better made, wider and softer.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2021, 02:39 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I rarely wash a CPAP tube, maybe 6-months. I launder may tube cover when I feel it needs it, and just throw it in with the sheets.  Headgear when stained or dirty, mask frame rarely, cushions daily.

That's the same as I do. I haven't laundered the tube cover yet. I wipe the cushions with a baby white daily. Top off humidifier tank daily, rinse and wash once every week or so.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a lot for you tips. It will help me maximize my routine Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I heard that the oils on your face that are in contact with the mask parts wear out the materials faster. I try to clean
those parts daily, also helps with the mask staying in place when not 'oily'.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jeremy, it may...MAY...be true in some cases.  Not everyone's perspiration and skin oils are the same.  And not all masks are the same.  So, one should expect some variation in how long masks of any one kind last from person-to-person.  In case that doesn't sound right, I offer my own case: I wash my cushion about once every two weeks...whether it seems to want it or not.  I wash my headgear about once a month.  Hose when I do my cushion...but not every time.  For the purpose of this reply, though, my cushion, an N20, is still very much in good service at 38 months.  At least in my case, my facial oils and perspiration don't seem to cause my N20 to deteriorate, even with my stingy cleaning schedule.  I have read here, though, that some people can't seem to get their cushions to last more than three or four months before they begin to show signs of decay. 

Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
How often do I clean CPAP equipment? Hmm right now not one bit. Until I get a correct machine that is. My evil environment harming side will kick in when I get my new machine and I'll probably just have to burn all the old equipment and open new hoses, filters, and so on. I've got 2 totes of new PAP parts. I'm thinking I'm using my original heated hose from a few years ago so why not celebrate a new machine with a bonfire.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a resperonics nasal mask with blue gel and silicone cover. I have oily skin and hair 'genetic I guess'. After 2 nights, those parts feel greasy. It acts like a lubricant and slides over my face. The dealer suggested daily cleaning so the mask lasts longer. I prefer to do that but sometimes forget.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 8 1,659 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 439 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 578 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.