Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Washable H5i - Isn't
RE: Washable H5i - Isn't
Way. Freakin'. Cool. I am so going to do that tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
So basically, I blew $32 on a piece of equipment that I didn't really need! Perturbed
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I see myself as being a klutz and snapping off one of those plastic bits. So I wouldn't say it is a waste, no. MUCH easier to undo 4 clips than to pry that thing apart. I've tried it before and it's not as easy (for me) as it was for the guy in the video.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried to open the old chamber this morning like the guy in the video. I came to two conclusions: He was either more motivated or had stronger thumbs. I could get one side unsnapped but not nothing else. So I guess it was money well spent after all. Dancing
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure it is easier with the aftermarket washable water chamber and the real question is why Resmed doesn't just make that one the standard water chamber. Would the cost to them really be much different?

I've never purchased the washable one but can honestly say I've followed the instructions in the video and have opened my water tub up without problems. The first time I tried it, I wasn't so sure myself. But now I can do it easily in seconds. The key is that where the plastic top and metal bottom come together, you press firmly in on the metal part while pulling up on the plastic part and just work your way continuously around the tub. It doesn't happen right away and you may have to work your way all the way around the tub more than once. But as you work your way around the tub the 2nd time, you should start to year more popping sounds as the two pieces are separating (don't be alarmed, nothing is breaking) and the two pieces will then come apart for easy cleaning.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2012, 07:55 AM)b360155 Wrote: the real question is why Resmed doesn't just make that one the standard water chamber. Would the cost to them really be much different?
I agree the cleanable water chamber ought to be standard.
Mine came with the cleanable chamber
Post Reply Post Reply
My new washable water chamber arrived last week from Supplier #2 got two pieces while the old one comes apart in three pieces and looks neater but still cannot see the top line of the yellow marker water level clearly

Post Reply Post Reply
Just be careful when wiping around the metal pan. I gave my thumb a nasty cut last week on the edge of the tub.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty cool, as Paula wrote. Thanks for the YouTube find, B36. Mine is also the factory "sealed" variety H5i, and I have not yet tried opening it. I use distilled water, and just about every a.m. I clean the H5i along with the mask via ivory liquid soap and warm water. For the humidifier, I just put some of the soapy water in and shake it a bit before rinsing out the soapy water via warm water poured in through the central hole on the top. After 2-3 water fills and emptying, the unit looks clean and ready for air dry. I don't see any indication of dirt or crud inside. Have I been missing something on the cleaning?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still trying to understand why I should bother to wash the water canister at all. I use distilled water, and empty it out every morning. I take the top and bottom apart, and let them air dry. The only other thing that gets into the canister is fresh air from the pump unit on its way to the mask. I can maybe see washing the pieces every couple of months, but every day? It seems excessive to me.

The other thing that leads me to be skeptical about some of the "daily cleaning" recommendations is that the little pamphlets that came with my machine have different recommendations for the water canister. The main S9 booklet (as I recall) recommends taking the canister apart and washing it daily. The separate little booklet that just addresses the H5i humidifier unit warns me not to take apart the water canister, as there are "no user-serviceable parts inside". Makes it kind of tough to clean, though. I can soak it in soapy water and rinse it, but it's hard to get it dry without separating the pieces. I suspect that advice was for the older, 3-part water canister. It does come apart, but it's a bit more work. My unit came with the newer, 2-part canister with the plastic flaps, and that is really easy to take apart. Either way, though, I don't see any very compelling reason to wash the thing every day. Seems like overkill to me.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.