Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Washing Filters ResMed
Washing Filters ResMed
I know the manual says that you should not wash the filters. I hate manuals that give instructions without giving the reasons for a particular requirement.

So, why cannot I wash my ResMed filter and reuse them?

I did give my filter a (dry) dust out last week and was a bit surprised at how much dirt/dust I was not breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Washing Filters ResMed
I wash and reuse mine. *shrug*

manual:

filters are not washable (because we want you to buy more).

(and don't want you to sue us if you get the sniffles after washing a filter)

that's my guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think I would wash them. But, using a can of "dust off" to blow the dirt out in a reverse direction seems logical. It's an old trick we used on automobile air filters -- except with compressed air.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2014, 09:29 AM)justMongo Wrote: I don't think I would wash them. But, using a can of "dust off" to blow the dirt out in a reverse direction seems logical. It's an old trick we used on automobile air filters -- except with compressed air.

The filters have dust on them. If you wash them, you now have dust and water on them. Dust is made from many things that might feed germ growth. Mix dust with water, let the germs grow, put it on a nice spongy matrix to grow and shed germs. That's the reason you might think it's a bad idea. There might even be some sort of stickiness on the filter material to catch dust. Or washing the filters might remove some of the fibers.

That's reasons to think of why to not wash the filter.

However, Respironics gets away with washable foam filters.

The manufacturer only recommends washing the filters every 6 months anyway. They're not that expensive if you buy them online, especially if you get the after market "compatible" filters.

I believe the filters are there to protect the machine, not your health anyway. Normal people breathe unfiltered air 24/7 and us apneacs breathe it 16 hours a day. The filters keep dust from building up in the machine. If the filters get dirty, they actually filter dust better, but they block airflow and make the machine work harder and overheat.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2014, 10:11 AM)archangle Wrote: I believe the filters are there to protect the machine, not your health anyway. Normal people breathe unfiltered air 24/7 and us apneacs breathe it 16 hours a day. The filters keep dust from building up in the machine...

We have a winner!
[Image: party.gif]

BTW -- if you're really worried about bacteria, put the bacteria filter on the output of the S9 H5i. You have to set a parameter in the menu that says you are using the filter so it can approximate pressure drop versus flow for the filter.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not *worried* about bacteria, trying to filter out all bacteria leads to compromised immune systems (parents, send your young kids out to get some dirt on their PB&J sandwiches, it's good for them).

however, filtering out pollen and other allergens does help keep my nose open better at night, which helps me breath better, which helps me sleep better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I buy a bunch of the little filters and throw away. If you are worried about what you are breathing get the external post machine filters, then when they get dark pitch them also. I like that all my air is being filtered since it has been cool enough to open the windows this week.
Good luck,
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2014, 12:45 PM)diamaunt Wrote: however, filtering out pollen and other allergens does help keep my nose open better at night, which helps me breath better, which helps me sleep better.

We've had a HEPA filter machine in our bedroom for about 20 years. It does double duty as a white noise generator. When it recently broke I thought we didn't need to replace it because my CPAP filter takes its place for me, but it turns out I was wrong.

My wife started coughing and sneezing more, and we missed the white noise. When I bought a new one I noticed an improvement in my breathing, too.

The CPAP filter doesn't filter out allergens, they are too small. HEPA filters do that.

What a CPAP machine does, though, is prevent me breathing in air that's just a few inches from the surface of my bedding. So it cuts down on the allergens coming from the bedding, such as dust mites.

So a CPAP machine with a clean filter and a good HEPA filtering machine are a nice combination.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2014, 09:53 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-17-2014, 12:45 PM)diamaunt Wrote: however, filtering out pollen and other allergens does help keep my nose open better at night, which helps me breath better, which helps me sleep better.

The CPAP filter doesn't filter out allergens, they are too small. HEPA filters do that.

wonder why resmed calls their better filter 'hypoallergenic' then...

oh well, I figure that something is being filtered out, else the AB filter wouldn't get darker over time.

since it doesn't matter, it must just be my imagination Smile

I'll continue to enjoy my placebo affect lessened allergy symptoms, while you enjoy your real ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be a real effect, just not due to allergens. For example my wife has asthma and allergies so filtering out the large particles, like you would with a CPAP filter or a good pleated central air or furnace filter, helps her allergy-like symptoms a lot. Plus, nobody likes breathing dust. Yuck!

Most air borne allergens are too small to be trapped by anything other than a HEPA filter. But in my experience for it to be effective it needs to have a fan that moves enough air and a surface area that's large enough. Those tiny cheap ones don't do it for me. But neither do I spend my money on the really expensive ones. I recently bought a good one for about $125. I've found Honeywell to be a reliable manufacturer who honors their warranty even after it expires, even if you have been lax about following the filter-changing schedule. And I've been honest with them!

If you're getting some benefit from your CPAP filter you may get even more from one of these. Plus they make a nice white noise generator that drowns out the sound of the CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 388 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 2 604 11-16-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: cLoo
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,417 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 807 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 504 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Washing gear in bleach? bbbl67 10 834 02-12-2023, 03:01 AM
Last Post: bbbl67
Question [Equipment] Who sells ResMed's AirSense 10 HypoAllergenic filters most cheaply, for Canada? StackExchange 1 522 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.