Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WatchPat Study questions
WatchPat Study questions
Recently got a sleep study:

How many Obstructive events were observed?
How many Hypopna events events were there?
How many Clear airway events were observed?

What exactly is pAHI4% and PAHIc4% ?

About oxygen desaturations, am I reading this correctly, there was one event where the O2 dropped between 10 and 20 percentage points from some value? And the saturation was less than 85% for six seconds.?

Can anyone help on any of these questions? 

(By the way I posted this question on "that other board" and no one was able to answer my questions, no one even tried)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: WatchPat Study questions
Centennial2, Welcome

It would help if you posted all the pages of the report. Redact any personal info before posting.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There were only two pages of WatchPat data, the other pages were medical history and doctor's recommendation (so not pertinent to my question)

How many Obstructive events were observed?
How many Hypopna events events were there?
How many Clear airway events were observed?

What exactly is pAHI4% and PAHIc4% ?

About oxygen desaturations, am I reading this correctly, there was one event where the O2 dropped between 10 and 20 percentage points from some value? And the saturation was less than 85% for six seconds.?
Post Reply Post Reply
As I read it...

Obstructives and hypopnea events are combined into the pAHI4% number.
(peripheral Apnea Hypopnea Index measured by 4% oxygen desat)
134 total events and 16.3/hr average (total events/total sleep time)

pAHIc4% would be Clear Airway/Centrals
1 total event, in REM sleep

Oxygen desat is a sudden drop. So if you're at 95% and O2 drops to 90% that would be a 5% desat.

You're correct, this report shows 1 drop of 10-20%.
O2 between 85-81% for 0.1 minute (6 sec)

I don't know accuracy of the WatchPATs compared to PSG.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2023, 01:19 AM)Brazen Wrote: As I read it...

Obstructives and hypopnea events are combined into the pAHI4% number.

IMO,  apneas and hypopneas are NOT combined in this study. My reasoning is that this Watchpat study CANNOT combine these because the study did not measure either type of flow event. 

And the reason; because the Watchpat did not measure ANY flows at all, good bad or indifferent

As best as I can tell, Watchpat measures  volume changes in peripheral arterial bed of the finger and assumes that those volume changes are in response to respiratory distress.... and (there is where the problems begin)... those arterial changes are only caused by respiratory distress.

That said, I am open to contrary views, but it seems to me the Watchpat study (as it pertains to apneas and hyponeas)  is based on assumptions and extrapolation.  
Post Reply Post Reply
@dataq1
I completely agree with you.
I was stating numbers as reportedly captured by the watchpat to answer the questions. (Per the watchpat brochures via google)

I too doubt the accuracy of WatchPAT tests, just didn't get into that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 142 9 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 72 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 265 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.