Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Watching yourself sleep
Cool 
Watching yourself sleep
Ever wonder what's going on at night?

I did.

It turns out that recording what's going on is actually quite easy.

First, you need an infrared video camera. They're easily available for several thousand dollars. Or 40 bucks, whichever you like. 8-)

If you have a spare logitech webcam, you can convert it to IR by removing the IR filter. I never knew it had one, but it does. This does make the camera more or less useless for other purposes, but considering that the camera cost me less than a co-pay at the doc, and I had an extra, it was a worthwhile sacrifice.

I can't take credit for the conversion directions. They're here:
http://www.alcs.ch/logitech-c910-infrare...ision.html

Once that's done, go to the logitech website and download their driver pack for your camera. You probably don't need the drivers (windows usually has them anyway), but it comes with a very simple video recorder that easily handles large files.

Hang a wall clock within the camera's field of vision, so you can tell what time each event happens.

Light: You can either use an infrared illuminator, which can be had for $40 or so on the internet, or an lamp or ceiling light with a 100W or bigger incandescent (not fluorescent or LED) bulb, on a dimmer, turned down to a soft glow. Incandescent bulbs throw off a ton of IR light.

Point the camera at the bed, fire up the logitech recording software, make sure the clock is in the frame, and go to bed! A full night runs about 2GB of video.

The next day, you can look at your data in SleepyHead or the software of your choice, and compare what's going on in the charts, with what's going on in your room. For example, I found that at about 5am, my cat stops in for a visit and that a place on my graph where a bunch of apneas showed up was when I rolled over and mashed my mask out of position, then fixed it and never remembered doing anything.

It's really pretty fascinating and well worth sacrificing an old webcam.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Watching yourself sleep
Interesting idea, though it seems like a lot of work. I guess some of us would have to get permission from our SO before attempting something like this! Whistle
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2014, 09:01 PM)PollCat Wrote: Interesting idea, though it seems like a lot of work. I guess some of us would have to get permission from our SO before attempting something like this! Whistle

I've been thinking that for some a bedroom cam is not necessarily a new idea.....

(bad retired_guy.... kinky......... too kinky)
Post Reply Post Reply
Simplify!

Just have your SO stay up all night and record you. Dielaughing

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Quite a few cheap wireless security cams have "night vision" infrared LED's.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2014, 08:44 AM)archangle Wrote: Quite a few cheap wireless security cams have "night vision" infrared LED's.

They're usually low-res and many are analog (need a capture card to record to disk), but the other thing was that I already had the stuff I used just laying around and it was cool. 8-)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,200 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.