Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Water Damage of VPAP auto 25 question
Water Damage of VPAP auto 25 question
I am sooooo stressed. I just poured 2 or so ounces of water into my ResMed VPAP Auto 25 INSTEAD OF THE HUMIDIFIER.

I immediately unplugged it and turned the machine on its side to drain the water out.

Am I screwed?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water Damage of VPAP auto 25 question
Well, probably. First step is do not turn it back on. Let it dry out for a week or so before you do anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lemme see... you have a ResMed S8 VPAP Auto 25 with a Respironics humidifier... and somehow you poured water into the blower unit?
Well we've all made mistakes.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi shortstop61,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Those machines are pretty delicate, hopefully you didn't damage it but I'm not sure you helped yourself any, Usually when you spill water into them, they don't work.
Keep us posted and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If your at the point where you have nothing to lose -- you might try removing the filter cover and filter -- then use a hair dryer set to low heat to push warm air through the blower unit.

Even if it works, the pressure delivery needs to be checked for proper calibration.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed said that the S8 is not well sealed. I have my old machine as back and went ahead and sent the unit to Resmed for evaluation. Going back overseas so decided to have it checked out before I go. I will post an update after the evaluation and repair (if needed). On a side note, I went ahead and ordered a gently used humidifier made for the unit - not that I think I would ever make that mistake again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2014, 10:52 PM)shortstop61 Wrote: Resmed said that the S8 is not well sealed. I have my old machine as back and went ahead and sent the unit to Resmed for evaluation. Going back overseas so decided to have it checked out before I go. I will post an update after the evaluation and repair (if needed). On a side note, I went ahead and ordered a gently used humidifier made for the unit - not that I think I would ever make that mistake again.

I guess I am kinda confused about why you need a gently used humidifier and what if they can't fix your s8 that you sent in? If you have insurance, you could probably get a new machine if it has been 5 years since you got your S8. If not, you could probably pick up a newer gently used machine and humidifier from one of the online suppliers.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 02:48 AM)me50 Wrote:
(04-17-2014, 10:52 PM)shortstop61 Wrote: Resmed said that the S8 is not well sealed. I have my old machine as back and went ahead and sent the unit to Resmed for evaluation. Going back overseas so decided to have it checked out before I go. I will post an update after the evaluation and repair (if needed). On a side note, I went ahead and ordered a gently used humidifier made for the unit - not that I think I would ever make that mistake again.

I guess I am kinda confused about why you need a gently used humidifier and what if they can't fix your s8 that you sent in? If you have insurance, you could probably get a new machine if it has been 5 years since you got your S8. If not, you could probably pick up a newer gently used machine and humidifier from one of the online suppliers.

I don't have insurance and based on the fact that the prior repair (replacing the motor and acoustic foam) only cost $175, I was hoping it would not be much more.

So. The answer is yes, 1/2 of water will damage a lot no matter how quickly you act. Motor...acoustic foam...and the pc board. It was little more to repair that the prior repair but it plus the gently used humidifier were still cheaper than a replacement (gently used) - add to that, the repair has essentially given me a 0 hour machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing to try is take a big ziploc bag (large enough to hold the unit) and put a couple of cups of uncooked rice in it. Add the machine, seal the bag and then let it sit for a couple of days. The rice will draw out the moisture. It works for cell phones, so it should work here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 02:46 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: Another thing to try is take a big ziploc bag (large enough to hold the unit) and put a couple of cups of uncooked rice in it. Add the machine, seal the bag and then let it sit for a couple of days. The rice will draw out the moisture. It works for cell phones, so it should work here.

I think it all depends on where the water goes. Water on an electronic circuit board is not good. The corrosive process begins immediately. If I were living here full time I probably would have tried the home remedies but given that I am flying overseas, better to have it take care of here.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,239 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,374 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.