Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Water change
Water change
Just going on second night and have only used 1/3 of the humidifier distilled water. Should it be changed everyday or what?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water change
I change every night, I guess warm water can breed bacteria.
Post Reply Post Reply
You will get several opinions on this.
Some just top up. Some dump and refill. Some clean the tank daily...
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2016, 09:38 PM)Hornnumb2 Wrote: Just going on second night and have only used 1/3 of the humidifier distilled water. Should it be changed everyday or what?
might as well dump it, distilled water is plentiful and cheap in Texas

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
No Zonk,

That is hot air that is plentiful and cheap in Texas!! Big Grin Big Grin Oh-jeez Just kidding folks.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I dump it every morning and let air dry. Use only distilled water, and wash tank once a week with dawn and rinse with vinegar and water.

Never had any problems.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd highly encourage you to dump the water everyday and wash once per week. As a former RT I saw some pretty nasty looking CPAP equipment and a a very I'll patient because of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I dump any excess every day. However, I don't fill to capacity every day. I find that I use more in colder weather (less humidity) and more in warmer weather. I have gotten fairly good at only having a small amount each morning. If you use distilled water as recommended keep in mind that the air passing over the water is room air and contains all sorts of things that can contaminate the water over time.

PS - am Texan but only a small part of the above is "hot air"......Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're comfortable, no need to change anything, but with the low usage of water you could look into increasing the humidifier setting if you want. For distilled water, I'd dump every other day. I use tap water and change daily and spray some Star San sanitizer once in a while.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2016, 09:43 PM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: I change every night, I guess warm water can breed bacteria.

Bacteria can't grow in water that has no nutrients in it, no matter what the temperature. Distilled water has zero nutrients (except for the actual water which ain't enough), and most tap water won't support bacterial growth right out of the tap, either.

Of course I take a look every day to make sure the remaining water is clear and dump it if it isn't, or would if that had happened, which so far it hasn't.

I top up the distilled water for a week, then clean it with soap and water and refill the reservoir with distilled water. Since I started PAP therapy I haven't even had a cold.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,701 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.