Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Water change
RE: Water change
I always throw away the excess distilled water, let the tank air-dry daily, and wash in mild soapy water once a week - which I believe is what ResMed recommends.

As the machine blows the humidified air down my windpipe and therefore into my lungs, I don't want to take any unnecessary hygiene risks.

Post Reply Post Reply
I get slime if I don't dump in the morning and let air dry during the day.

I have a water softener and use tap water.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2016, 01:37 PM)ttexan Wrote: I dump any excess every day. However, I don't fill to capacity every day. I find that I use more in colder weather (less humidity) and more in warmer weather. I have gotten fairly good at only having a small amount each morning. If you use distilled water as recommended keep in mind that the air passing over the water is room air and contains all sorts of things that can contaminate the water over time.

PS - am Texan but only a small part of the above is "hot air"......Cool

According to your profile you are an Alabaman who uses more water in cooler weather and more water in warmer weather so where does the less come in. Big Grin Big Grin Sorry Tex I could not resist your typo.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have first hand experience with getting an upper respiratory infection due to topping up tap water rather than deep cleaning it every day - now I clean all my equipment every day in hot soapy water and I use filtered water in my tank. It's kinda annoying to do it every day I guess but then having a sinus infection isn't too much fun either and the experience of actually getting a quality night's sleep trumps everything in my opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gunner, there is really no way to know your humidifier contributed to a sinus infection. I agree however, if you use tap water, it's a good idea to keep after the hygiene, but I have done this for 8 years with tap water, with less than good diligence, and not had a problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2016, 07:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Gunner, there is really no way to know your humidifier contributed to a sinus infection. I agree however, if you use tap water, it's a good idea to keep after the hygiene, but I have done this for 8 years with tap water, with less than good diligence, and not had a problem.

Of course I cannot empirically prove it but I'm 99% certain it was because of my water tank. When I went to deep clean it after a 3 day gap I had noticed there was a definite build up of 'gunk' on the bottom of the tank and even a slight smell.

When I normally get a cold I get other symptoms as well and normally my tonsils get infected and so on but this was purely respiratory and also my girlfriend normally gets sick from me (or visa versa) but she didn't get sick at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like I will add air dry to my daily routine and vinegar rinse to my weekly routine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opinion (topped of with several years of experience) only;

Distilled water: top off every day. Clean once a week.
Tap water: just don't do it.

In case of cold / flue: clean the tank and mask and the hose every day or suffer twice or trice or forever as long as you would normally.
YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, I have started using bottled Aquafina instead of distilled. I fill about half the tub every night, dump the remaining water in the morning and let it air dry. No build up of any kind for 60 days and counting. And I wash the tub once every 10 days with regular foaming soap.

Aquafina is rated as 4ppm TDS water so it's fairly close to distilled.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use well water that get run through an under the sink reverse osmosis unit. Empty the extra daily, and I leave the tank out of the machine and slightly open by turning the seal 90 degrees.
I wash everything but not as regular as I should.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 218 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,084 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 117 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 360 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 323 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,952 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,866 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.