Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Water droplets in my air touch f20 mask
Water droplets in my air touch f20 mask
I alternate between a nasal mask and a full face mask.  I have my machine low on the ground and I also use a heated tube and a tube cover.  
I have my humidity set at 3 and my tube temperature set at 78.  To reduce the water droplets in my mask should I increase both my humidity and tube temperature or just one of the settings?
Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water droplets in my air touch f20 mask
Warmer air can hold more moisture than a cooler setting. If you're experiencing the formation of droplets, I would increase the temperature. You will only make the "rainout" worse if you increase the humidity setting.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fine water droplets in your mask indicate condensation from warm, moist air in contact with the cooler mask surface. While you can potentially reduce this moisture by reducing your CPAP humidification level or increasing tube temperature, the mask condensation, as opposed to tube condensation, is mainly caused by exhaled warm moist air. The best way to prevent condensation in a full face mask, is a mask cover such as those sold by Pad-A-Cheek Supplier #31. This keeps cool air away from the mask surface and prevents the condensation, much like a tube cover does in the tube. It might be possible to DIY something if you don't want to purchase.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks crimson nape and sleeprider for your feedback.  Does it make sense to lower the humidity level and raise the tube temperature together or just raise the tube temperature?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm the conservative type and would elect to try one parameter at a time. I'd be more inclined to increase the temperature over reducing the humidity. My selection is based on some medical "stuff" I read about the closer the air temperature is to body temp, the more efficient is oxygen transfer.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
What temperature is the room you sleep in? Raising tube temperature probably won't make much difference because it just doesn't warm the air passing through the tube. It warms the wall of the tube to prevent condensation, but that really doesn't change the air temperature in the tube due to a relatively high volume passing though it. The heated tube is working exactly as intended, and it is the surface of your mask where condensation is occurring. That will be prevented by either reducing the relative humidity (humidifier setting), or increasing the temperature of the mask surface by increasing room temperature or applying a mask cover.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
My room temperature is about 68 degrees.  I will try reducing the humidity and keeping the tube temperature the same.  
Thanks and will let you know how it works.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the hose feeding your mask has no water droplets I would not worry to much because you are not having rainout. More than likely just condensation from breathing warm breath against you clear plastic face mask causing the condensation. Just give mask a wipe when done sleeping should do the job. When I see condensation in the corrugated part of mask hose is another problem with humidity settings IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2020, 01:44 PM)Canuck 2 Wrote: If the hose feeding your mask has no water droplets I would not worry to much because you are not having rainout. More than likely just condensation from breathing warm breath against you clear plastic face mask causing the condensation. Just give mask a wipe when done sleeping should do the job. When I see condensation in the corrugated part of mask hose is another problem with humidity settings IMO.

I was going to post a very similar comment, but you beat me to it.  Well-done
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes there is no rainout in the heated tube just in the mask.  Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,812 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.