Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Water in gel pillow?
Water in gel pillow?
Hi There - I'm a new CPAP user (< 1 month), and I have noticed an occasional issue with moisture in the mask. I suspect this is related to air leaking in around the gel pillow mask I use, which is a Respironics Nuance.

Does this make sense to those of you who are more experienced users?

Most nights are very good and quite restful, but this problem is annoying!

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water in gel pillow?
It is condensation from your own breath and, to some degree, from the humidifier.

Do you use the Climateline hose? That keeps the main hose warm and prevents condensation. You could make a cover for the mask's hose to try and keep it warm enough that the condensation doesn't form.

Water droplets in the pillows is a problem I've experienced in all I've had. It's one of those things I've gotten used to I guess.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi brianps,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Edit: what Paula said, end edit.
Hang in there for suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi brianps, welcome aboard
The moisture in the mask (different than water in the hose .. rainout) from your breath which is common issue with nasal pillows masks.
You need snuggle hose cover for the short hose between the mask and the hose from the machine

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all three of you for replying so quickly. Sounds as though it's something I have to get used to, but this is a lifelong journey for me, and likely will not be the last issue I have or the last time I look for help.

This is a great board, and I'm already finding it very helpful. Nice to be made to feel so welcome!

Thanks again
Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
It basically goes away in the summer when the air is warmer and condensation is less of a concern.

I have a friend who is a knit/sew/cloth/yarn crafter. I keep meaning to ask her if she could make me some sort of cozy for my mask. I like my Nuance enough that I will stick with it for a long time. When I get a replacement, I'll give her my old one and talk to her about it. I'll clean it first though 'cause I *know* she is going to put it on and dance or something.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Nuance here too, and same deal, was just commenting to the wife about this issue this morning, she said she'd make me a snuggle cover for the hose too. Mine gets just wet enough to tickle me.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula 02 and Galactus, good ideas about the "cozy". My daughter is a knitter, think I'll speak to her. I'm using the Climateline hose, so I guess rainout is not an issue. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Padacheek makes "pillow barrel cozies" as well as hose cozies and mask pads and mask liners. The "barrel cozies" go over the base of the pillow and provide a bit of insulation. That can help (quite a bit) in reducing or eliminating condensation in the pillows themselves.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2014, 09:04 AM)robysue Wrote: Padacheek makes "pillow barrel cozies" as well as hose cozies and mask pads and mask liners.
In the old forum, Karen (padacheek) had a thread in "Commercial Posts" section
We used to direct people there as we do now to "Becky at RemZzzs" for RemZzzz liners

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 159 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 97 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 92 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,875 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 185 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.