Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Water in hose
Water in hose
Last night I woke up with a rainout situation and according to my one app it as about 45 To 60 minutes long of gurgling. It woke me up and I took care of the situation. My question is can those 45to 60 minutes of gurgling cause a false high AHI or AI number on my CPAP machine?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water in hose
Can I ask what App records 45+ minutes of gurgling (rainout) in your hose? Your profile suggests you don't use a humidifier???

There are some things to try if you experience rainout on a regular basis. Turn the temp down on the humidifier and turn the temp up on the heated hose (if you use one.)
Using a fleece type hose cover helps, and being sure that your hose is directed upward from the Cpap then down to your mask.

The only way to receive advice on a higher than normal or false high on AHI would be to post a chart from the daily page in OSCAR.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the air sense 11 with built in humidifier. The way I hand my hose allowed the water build up in the hose where it looped. I use the snore lab app on my iPhone which is next to my bed on the table and it picked up the gurgling in the hose. it is a great app to record snoring and other sounds. It has picked up the dog barking in the yard and the clock as it chimes in the night. and of course as I mentioned the gurgling noise woke me up last night.

thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I see!

There is no way for us to know if a "Rainout" issue would affect AHI.  I don't think I've heard that before.

Please post a chart at least for that night so we can take a look.
Use this link for guidance: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

I deleted the Duplicate thread you started on same subject.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok I will do that tomorrow I don’t have my card with me today and I have to use my computer in my office.

I already readjusted my humidifier so it should not happen tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok Sleep-well
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
If there was a true gurgling sound, your machine was powering through the water.  If your AHI is significant, then compare it with at least three previous nights to get a more accurate average AHI for nights WITHOUT gurgling.

My guess is that your humidity is too high.  Rainout can come from a cold room, or a hose temp that is insufficient to keep water vapour from condensing inside the hose.  It may also come from a room that has a lot of humidity, which the machine picks up and passes along through the hose, but now with a bit more from the humidifier reservoir. 

I don't use a hanger, nor do I use a sleeve.  I lift the covers and lay the hose across my top sheet, across my midriff.  It loops from there up to my face, almost across me a second time.  When I turn over, there is lots of free hose to move with me.  But, with the covers over the tube, they act as a heat-retaining sleeve.

This is a good arrangement because the hose never gets rainout, but if it begins to develop, it runs back into the machine which is in a bedside table drawer, about 7" below my head.

And, no, my arrangement doesn't cause me any entanglement.  I have pulled the face hose out of the coupling to the main Climate line, and as it failed over time, I had to drive a small screw, after pre-dilling, through the larger hose female coupling and through smaller hose's insertion component.  That lasted almost three years, and I just replace the hose two months ago after four years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the screen shots, I hope this helps. The gurgling started around 2:16 am and ending at2:39 am that is on the Sunday night screen shot and then there is the last nights screen shot  a overview scree shot

Post Reply Post Reply
I see that you have your CPAP set to a fixed CPAP pressure. This mode will not report your Flow Limits. If you set your AS11 to Auto with both the min and max pressures set to 15, and maintain the EPR to 3, will provide your current settings but report your Flow Limits.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope this is what you were referring to with flow limits

thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.