Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Water in p10 nasal mask
Water in p10 nasal mask
Laat night i ran into a weird issue. After i got up to change my son and go back to sleep i was having trouble breathing, felt like i was being starved for air like when the machine is on too low of pressure. So i ignore it thinking my heart rate is elevated from moving around, then i get a few drops of water on my face from the mask and was like something is not right. 

Took the mask off and could breath much better so i think what happened is the water was blocking the vents on the mask and making me rebreath the stale air. It was dark so i didnt get a good look at how much water was in the mask, but when i took it apart and shook it out quite a few sprays came out. And the vents were soaked i put my lips up to them and blew them out, seemed to be fine after that.

A couple things i think could have caused it:

I threw my mask and the hose and the floor, normally i hang it on the bed post. Maybe some condensation from the tube rolled into the mask?

I washed the hoses and mask yeaterday for the first time, made sure they were dry before use and that i really blasted the vent part with clean water and then air to make sure it dries out properly. Did i possibly break the heated hose and now im getting more condensation in the tube? How do i test this theory.

Anything else you can think of? Humidity is set at 4.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water in p10 nasal mask
Also i have been running these settings flawlessly for about 2 weeks now. The only major change i can think of was me cleaning the hose and mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fiddy, the P10 vents can be obstructed by moisture as described in huge detail in this thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...YPERCAPNIA

It is important that if you have moisture in the mask that the vents get completely cleaned and dried out. A couple important precautions are to ensure your hose rises above the machine elevation so that any spilled or condensed water flows back to the machine. Be sure your humidity settings are not high enough to cause condensation. Use a tube cover like Snugglehose, which makes it more comfortable and prevents condensation. Consider using a heated tube.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dried P10s plus use of a heated tube (set to Auto) and a hose cover as suggested by Sleeprider cannot be overstated. This solves most condensation ("rainout") conditions.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Fiddy what is your minimum pressure ? Your profile says 4 I would raise that to a higher value it’s not uncommon to feel air starved at 4 when you get used to the pressure
Post Reply Post Reply
So far issue has not come back, so i think throwing the hose on the floor let some condensation roll in, or i was side sleeping and blocking the vents.

My pressure is now set to 6-13. I never go over 12 on the pressure and 6 is lowest i can not feel starved for air. I monitor my data frequently so i can adjust as needed and i usually have an AHI under 0.5-1 so low pressure takes care of me just fine, i notice the ramps to higher pressure are when i am snoring.

Pretty sure i have a heated hose already its the resmed climate line air and has a little connector that plugs in the back of the machine that has to be feeding power to heating elements.
Post Reply Post Reply
It should also be stated, that for the same reason that keeping ones machine lower that one's head can help rain-out by allowing water that has condensed to run back into the humidifier, using a hose management system (ie hose buddy) can contribute to the alleged p10 condensation problem.

When water condenses, if it occurs before the peak in the hose management system the water will run back into the machine, but if it water condenses after the peak then it will run into the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is another factor here; ambient, or room, temperature.  If the mask is very cool due to cool bedroom temperature, it will get more condensation on the walls.  Raising room temperature would help if you can't control the humidity otherwise, or get as much as you need without incurring 'rain out'.  Of course, climate line hoses, covering hoses to insulate them, they help as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,074 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 975 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 144 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 158 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 176 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,908 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,485 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.