Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Water question
Water question
I was told to use only distill water. Can you use tap  well water or only distill water? If so why I would like to learn the reason why.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water question
Anything other than distilled water can leave mineral deposits on your tank and hose. Cleaning those deposits off from the tank can be done using vinegar mixed with water and scrubbing but I am less sure of the hose being fully cleaned from the deposits. Personally, I buy distilled water from Walmart for very cheap and use that. It really doesn't cost all that much.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use tap water, I rinse the tank out once a week. With tap water, I think the main thing is not to run your tank dry, to stop a crust forming.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
The thing is though, depending on where they live there may be more or less minerals in their water. Also he mentioned well water that would likely be quite a bit higher in mineral content. For me, it's just not worth the hassle. But to each their own!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I should have worded it better, so it didn't seem to step on your advice, it wasn't my intention. It wasn't to say distilled isn't good. I was just saying what I do and so far it's ok with my water.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2017, 02:09 PM)ajack Wrote: Sorry, I should have worded it better, so it didn't seem to step on your advice, it wasn't my intention. It wasn't to say distilled isn't good. I was just saying what I do and so far it's ok with my water.

No offence taken whatsoever!  That's the problem with the internet, we can't convey tone or emotion at all.  I never took it like that.  There was nothing wrong with your post at all. 

There is no reason why they can't also try to use tap or well water.  They just need to be aware that they may be in for some more rigorous cleaning requirements...   Distilled water is so cheap when you buy it at a place like Walmart and I have found I can set my humidity settings to really low because of where we live, so I just don't bother using anything different than distilled water.  I have never actually tried to use the tap water in our area.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2017, 12:14 PM)ajack Wrote: I use tap water, I rinse the tank out once a week. With tap water, I think the main thing is not to run your tank dry, to stop a crust forming.

It also depends on where you live.
My water is so hard you could throw it at someone and knock them out Big Grin

Seriously, we have to soak the shower head in vinegar every couple of months and replace it every couple of years.  We have to empty the sediment from our aerator screens a couple of times a year.   Toilet valves last maybe 5 years.

I wouldn't worry about using bottled water on a trip rather than hauling around gallons of distilled (try flying with a bottle of water Perturbed ), but there's no way I'd use our tap water at home, or at a hotel, since it would be an unknown.

Ya...  you can buy 12oz bottles of "Humidifier Water" for something like a buck a bottle Dielaughing
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using CPAP since 2008 and have used only tap water the entire time with no problems. Do what works best for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Normally use distilled (until my wife uses it up for her water fountain sculpture) and when we run out use bottled water until we get more. Or, if I don't feel like moving my lazy butt to the kitchen, I'll just use tap water.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
I just keep a couple of gallon jugs in the closet.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 94 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 355 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.