Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Water
Water
Hi all,

Another question from a new member about to start on the CPAP journey (been diagnosed with sleep apnea and going for second sleep test in a few weeks time and then a trial).

I've been reading that the CPAP humidifiers require distilled water. I live in a city (Melbourne, Australia) that has one of the best public water supplies in the world, so can I use tap water (boiled if necessary) rather than the additional expense of distilled water?

Thanks in advance,

David
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water
Hi David - Welcome
Yes you can use regular tap water.  It seems the two main reasons for recommending distilled water is to: 1, reduce mineral buildup in the humidifier tray and 2, appease the manufacturer's lawyers  (barristers).  Normal cleaning will address the first issue.  There isn't much we can do to address the second.  

I am listing a link to help in getting you familiar with the CPAP equipment: https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

Keep us up to date as to how your treatment progresses.  In the meantime, you may wish to read the forum's Wiki (link at top of page) to gain a better understanding of terms and what to expect.  Additionally, the Useful Links listed below may prove interesting.

-Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!!!

Congrats on having excellent tap water!

My city has lousy tap water, so I have a very good filter, and I use that water. No problems. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Almost all municipal water supplies have some degree of dissolved minerals. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you never let your water chamber run completely dry and soak your water chamber in vinegar periodically to remove any build-up of mineral deposits. I have run a number  of experiments with my ResMed AirSense and tap water with periodic cleaning worked just fine.

Have a restful evening.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a water filter for all my potable water as the Gold Coast water supply, while not that bad, is not a patch on Melbourne's. I clean out my humidifier every couple of months
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in Sydney and just use tap water in my Dreamstation without a problem.

And when I'm in Melbourne I use tap water there as well, again with no problem.

I spend a couple of weeks a year down in Melbourne, and also spend time on the road in between there or other places around NSW/Vic. where I just use local tap water in whatever town I'm in. 

I wash my humidifier tank about once a month by hand in lukewarm water with Morning Fresh dish washing liquid concentrate. 

I've been doing this for 12 months now with no problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all of you for the replies - much appreciated.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not use any water. It works for me.

Post Reply Post Reply
It just depends on the minerals in your water.
In my area the minerals leave pinkish stains on everything and difficult to remove so I distill my own. I also use it for drinking after adding minerals so it gets a lot of use.

If your particular minerals cause no problem youre good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2017, 05:54 AM)sirgaw Wrote: Thanks to all of you for the replies - much appreciated.

David

Just don't take it straight out of the Yarra. Smile
I don't use my humidifier very often anymore. See what works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 32 Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,736 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,314 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 151 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 197 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 342 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,130 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.