Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wattage Draw on S9
Wattage Draw on S9
I read on an airline website that Qantas sets a 75 Watt limit on the power points in their aircraft. If the device plugged in exceeds that the power point shuts down and can only be reset on the ground.

Further research seems to suggest that a machine like the S9 only draws between 30 and 60 watts. I've got an overseas trip lined up in 2019 in which I will need my BiPAP on the plane. I'm flying Qantas because they will let me plug my machine into their power points (unlike Emirates). Can anyone confirm the wattage draw on an S9 before I go and buy a battery pack? My S9 usually runs between 13 and 15 cmH2O but can get as high as 18.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wattage Draw on S9
Wattage equals volts times amps W = V * A or for the pickier folks, P = V * I where P = watts, V = voltage and I = amps......

Googleate the Resmed Battery Guide. It will pretty quickly tell you the amp draw of your unit in different configurations if you are curious enough and you can do the math from the formula above. Use the part where Resmed device is powered from converter - not the inverter section.

You should have no problem if you are not using heated humidification on the plane. Whether you are seated in a seat with a working power port may be a different matter. You may have to change seats if the one you're at doesn't work.

OMMOHY
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2018, 07:04 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: You should have no problem if you are not using heated humidification on the plane.

Public service announcement: Flyers should be aware that the manufacturers of the machines warn never to have water in the humidifier on a plane, because the water sloshes around (think sudden thousand-foot drop as the plane hits an air pocket) and will probably slosh into the electronics, zzzzzap kaput.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I fly I might use an HME as humidification like I did last time. However, the water chamber on my humidifier here at home has run out of water at times and I've suffered no side effects. I can't see the point of taking the humidifier section onto the plane anyway as it's just extra baggage.

You seem to be confirming that i will be well under wattage use. All i have to do now is talk to Qantas about my machine. I am flying business class in their new Boeing Dreamliner and I'd imagine that every seat has a power supply. I'll check with seat guru to make sure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 789 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Wattage of Resmed Air Sense 10 without humidifier? morph31 12 3,703 03-12-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  Comparative Current Draw - Battery Use Estimate OMyMyOHellYes 0 2,819 09-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes
  Measuring current draw on CPAP for battery calcuilations OMyMyOHellYes 17 5,334 07-23-2017, 08:57 AM
  Heated tuning with HIGHEST WATTAGE? Night Train 1 1,507 12-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  PR REMstar Auto A-Flex 60 Series Amp draw question. Timbo 9 7,413 05-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Question [Equipment] How many DC Amps does my CPAP REALLY draw? ChoirPower 18 64,204 08-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Last Post: RonWessels

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.