Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waveform questions
Waveform questions
https://i.imgur.com/IcY3aci.png

https://i.imgur.com/KcfKqqE.png

Can someone explain exactly what is going on with these 2 waveform graphs.

The second graph appears as apneas but not flagged.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waveform questions
I notice that those graphs are from the night the time changed... If you look at the graph an hour later (as I recall) I think you will find your events. Or open the Events tab in the left column, and scroll down, you should find them.

It's a difficult problem to solve - the flow graph has all the hours, but the local time starts repeating at 2:00 AM (in the fall) and the Events time line doesn't reflect that. I don't know if there is a graphing package that would show the local time jumps correctly. UTC for the win.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the first graph if you are referring to the jagged appearing waveform there are two threads I know of that have dealt with this matter or something very similar:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ing-apneas
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid212868
The best I've found is that the bumpy, messy waveforms seem to be loosely connected with Flow Limitation that raises above about 0.33 on the Flow Limit graph.  You can see this on your flow limit chart on the first waveform.  Their are exceptions to this observation though so it may not be a sure-fire assessment of the problem.  I have also found that if i can open my airway (decreases flow limits and corresponding decrease in therapy pressures) by using a chin strap to keep my mouth closed while using a FFM that the problem disappears or greatly subsides.  Of course i don't like chin straps but it does work.  I'm trying to discover what other ways (cervical collar maybe?? or ergonomical pillow, mouth piece...) there may be that would manually keep my chin up, mouth closed and also be more comfortable.  I'm getting a new pillow today and will try it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, I remember reading somewhere that there are full face masks that go under the chin maybe to keep it the mouth closed.  They look bigger.  Don't remember where i saw that however.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using the f20 large which actually fits pretty low.  Also using a collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2017, 03:43 PM)yankees123 Wrote: I'm using the f20 large which actually fits pretty low.  Also using a collar.

I have an F20 Large and an F10 Large.  Neither do much to keep the mouth closed at least for me.  The F20 seals better at high pressures than the F10 but it also makes quite a bit more air exhaust noise than the F10 which at times i find annoying.  
What does the collar do for you?  Never tried one but its on my mind.  Do you notice that it decreases the pressure or the flow limits or anything good??  is it comfortable?  Does it require any kind of special pillow?
Post Reply Post Reply
I was recommended to try a soft collar to reduce obstructive apneas.  I think it might have helped, not really sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if one of those mouth guards would help maybe like this one:
Commercial Link Removed, Instead search Amazon for Serenity Sleep Mouth Guard.
For me, it would have to keep the mouth closed however and I don't understand how it would do that.  If it does, I'll run and buy one!
As for your collar, you could try not wearing it and see if your AHI goes up or your pressures go up.  If its, helping i would expect one of those things would happen.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Good idea fixit 50.I wear a night guard for years but that's because I grind my teeth.  
Will experiment with and without the soft collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pad a Cheek makes a fuzzy band that attaches to the lower straps of an FFM and goes under the chin. It’s designed to keep the mask from floating upwards. I took this to mean it would in effect keep the mouth inside the mask, since it will keep the silicon/foam from riding up over the lower lip.

This does not address the posture problem, but it may help with floppy mouth.

Just a thought....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,595 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.