Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Waveform riddle
[Image: 1f2a31262bbc42629c74eca5e9faea78.jpeg]

[Image: f99119511a1344ffa216858a370c0869.jpeg]

Now, both clips are from the same night, the first one early and the second one near the end of the session. This is a classic case of something. Can you guess what it is?
Post Reply Post Reply
I hate to be first to submit, but it looks like shallow breathing due to flow limitations. But I also see delayed inhalation, and I'm not sure how that is related, nor what it may mean.

It is also late, and I'm not wide awake...
Post Reply Post Reply
Impedance mismatch ?

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

I'm with pholynyk. Looks like a flow limitation possibly due to partially closed airway and when inhalation starts the pressure opens your airway and air flow increases.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
COPD? (Wild guess -- no science behind it.)

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
One guess is as good as another. The fact that I know why I woke up doesn't make me any better at analyzing complex waveforms.

However, since I awoke due to a completely restricted nose (suffocating), I tend to think there may be something to learn from those two waveforms, especially when we see someone with a similarly superimposed non-sinusoidal component of a similar frequency. I can't say and don't mean to imply that it is always caused by a plugged nose.

I normally use a corticosteroid (fluticasone propionate) daily (2 sprays/ea. nostril) but I had failed to renew my supply and was going without it for a couple of days prior to this incident. That give even more credence to the point that nasal restriction can play a major part in sleep apnea. In my case, it is the major factor. The fact that I have COPD makes me extremely sensitive to any small reduction of air flow. As always, YMMV.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply

Doesn't look much different than mine..
[Image: Flow.jpg]

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, when we think we can interpret the extent of our malady by relying on a machine that reports data that some software can use to generate complex waveform displays based on a predefined sampling rate and some mysterious algorithm, we may be led astray.

Trust but verify comes to mind. CPAP is a treatment for sleep apnea but it isn't the only treatment. I'm happy to say that my sleep apnea problem turned out to have a simple solution, topical spray nasal treatment with a corticosteroid. I don't need a blower and a mask attached to my face, which I tried for quite a while and very well understand the discomfort involved. I'm not saying your experience will be the same, but just saying that you should consider it while pursuing all the other alternatives. This is especially true if you are primarily a nose breather. If relieving nasal congestion could possibly save you from having to subject yourself to a cpap machine and mask, it's certainly something to try as you make that journey. As always, YMMV

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply