Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

We must resist requests that we show ID for medical services.
We must resist requests that we show ID for medical services.
The last three medical offices I went to requested to not only see my ID but to scan it.
I denied allowing them to scan it; and would not let it out of my hand.
They whined; but I was not denied service.

This trend flows from an FTC directive to creditors called RED FLAG.
The FTC attempted to flow the requirement down to medical practices.
The AMA brought suit on the grounds that even though a medical practice may receive delayed payment, they are not a creditor.
The FTC withdrew.

The alleged purpose of demanding ID is to cut down on medical identity theft.
Fine.  Do you want everything about you, including a scan of your ID on an insecure system?
Most offices are still running unpatched Windows XP.

The Attorney General of California has opined in opposition to the scanning of our photo IDs.

Further, office staff are not trained properly.  They have no idea where this "mandate" comes from.
Nor, that it may be a federal felony to make any image or facsimile of an ID item that is compliant with the Real ID Act of 2005.
Why would that be illegal -- because it's the doorway to board commercial aircraft; and a doorway to those who seek to commit terrorists acts.

Just Say No.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: We must resist requests that we show ID for medical services.
Would you include insurance cards in this?

Please organize your SleepyHead screenshots like this.
Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
No.  But US Medicare is removing SSNs from Medicare cards and replacing them with a number unique to Medicare called an MBI.
They will even do this retroactively for the records of deceased Medicare recipients.

https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleas...05-30.html
https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/SSNRI/Index.html

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I no longer carry my Medicare ID card just for the reason mentioned above. When I see the doctor, they always ask for it so they can 'scan' it into their system. I tell them I don't carry it, then they tell me to bring it into their office.......huh..........I'm going to drive 25 miles just so they can scan my Medicare card? Don't think so!

My husband and I have been the victim of credit card identity theft two times in the past year. We now leave our credit cards home in a drawer and use it only when absolutely necessary. It is a big pain to fix everything
that happens when we learn our credit card has been comprimised.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(06-27-2017, 05:18 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I no longer carry my Medicare ID card just for the reason mentioned above.  When I see the doctor, they always ask for it so they can 'scan' it into their system.  I tell them I don't carry it, then they tell me to bring it into their office.......huh..........I'm going to drive 25 miles just so they can scan my Medicare card?  Don't think so!

My husband and I have been the victim of credit card identity theft two times in the past year.  We now leave our credit cards home in a drawer and use it only when absolutely necessary.  It is a big pain to fix everything
that happens when we learn our credit card has been compromised.

You can leave your credit cards in a drawer and STILL be a victim of ID theft because your bank is online, your credit card company is online.  You could have your mail stolen from your mail box, your checks washed and then IDs created from your DMV record.  I agree, it is a pain to fix all this stuff - the worst part was all the anxiety I had to listen to from my Mom daily for months.

Anyway, I agree with you Mongo, I just told them that they have my number on file to contact Medicare.  I allowed them to SEE my identification, but they weren't allowed to scan it (I explained, as you suggested, that their system is not secure, so no they can't scan either one).  I do carry my Medicare card though.  Way too much hassle not to.  But I do appreciate these reminders.  I'd been telling people since the late 80s not to give out their SS# to anybody unless they can show cause to require it, which of course, if you are using Medicare to pay for your stuff, they have cause.
Post Reply Post Reply
And, as I said, Medicare will replace all Medicare cards with ones having a MIN that will not be ones SSN.
The VA has already started issuing VA healthcare cards that don't use the SSN.

That 2D barcode on the lower left is the biggest issue.  It's there as a result of the Real ID Act of 2005.
Medical offices are not just capturing an image of both sides, they are decoding that barcode.
[Image: 1kVDcTM.jpg]

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm set up for automatic billing of Medicare charges every month, and it's really stupid IMO to get those letters from CMS each month that contain my full social security number when they send out the report.  Why have the full number?  Why not just a few digits, or no digits at all since it already contains my full name and address?The outside of the envelope also says something about 'important medicare billing' or the like.  For that matter, why can't I just sign up for emails so they can skip the postage?    Grrrr.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
CMS in the Western States is subcontracted to Noridian Healthcare Solutions, LLC.
On mine, they have replaced the first 5 digits with XXX-XX.
It should be the same for you -- but maybe not.
The state of CA made it a civil crime to transmit any SSN by unsecure means.
That includes the US mail.

When I was working, my health insurance card had my SSN on it. When CA passed the law, the insurance company tried to simply change the order of the numbers. They got slapped by the state; and had to go to a member ID.

Email is not secure. You can sign up to receive your MC EOBs paperless by signing on to mymedicare.gov

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IRS Itemized Medical Deductions johanlon 10 468 11-26-2018, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Poor medical care what to do about it KimberlyF 4 767 02-08-2018, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Phill
  Photo ID required for Medical Services justMongo 18 1,742 04-14-2017, 07:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [News] Hospital Medical Devices Used as Weapons in Cyberattacks AlanE 0 994 06-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Sorry! I couldn't resist. PollCat 8 1,430 03-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Last Post: PollCat
  Medical Tag Eurika 7 2,156 11-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Angry I noted the medical device tax was applied to my last DME supplies justMongo 0 1,059 05-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Last Post: justMongo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.