Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wearing Stockings (Is it True?)
Wearing Stockings (Is it True?)
How wearing stockings could stop you snoring

Wearing tight stockings during the day may be a new way to tackle snoring at night.
Compression stockings are widely used to treat varicose veins and prevent blood clots in the legs after surgery and during long-haul flights.

They are now being given to people with sleep apnoea, a major cause of snoring.

[Image: article-2171175-020CE80300000578-539_468x325.jpg]
Sleep apnoea triggers a pause in breathing for ten seconds or more before the brain prompts the muscles to reopen the airway
This occurs when the soft tissue in the throat collapses repeatedly at night, blocking air flow into the lungs.

It’s thought the knee-length stockings will help reduce this tissue collapse by tackling fluid build-up in the body — a small study of 12 patients has shown the stockings reduce symptoms by a third.

Sleep apnoea affects an estimated one in 25 adults.
It triggers a pause in breathing for ten seconds or more before the brain prompts the muscles to reopen the airway.

This process is accompanied by a loud snore that is then followed by a gasping and spluttering sound.
The condition increases the risk of heart failure, stroke and diabetes.

Risk factors include being overweight, having a large neck, being menopausal (hormonal changes can lead to throat muscles relaxing) and taking medication such as sleeping pills.
The main treatment is a type of mask called a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device that delivers a supply of compressed air during sleep to prevent the airway closing.

While these devices can be highly effective, many people find them uncomfortable to wear, and it is estimated around 46 per cent of people given them do not continue to use them.

The idea behind the stockings is that they prevent tissue fluid — a clear liquid that is a constitute of blood — pooling in the legs during the day.

Normally, the leg muscles help pump fluid back up to the body, but this flow is hampered in those with poor circulation or who are largely sedentary.

Experts believe an accumulation of this fluid can flow back towards the head when the patient lies down at night.

[Image: article-2171175-13F05E2C000005DC-402_468x355.jpg]

The idea behind the stockings is that they prevent tissue fluid - a clear liquid that is a constitute of blood - pooling in the legs during the day
The fluid then collects around the throat, squeezing the tissue and triggering sleep apnoea.

The theory is that wearing the stockings during the day will squeeze the veins and help the muscles push the fluid back up to the rest of the body.

In a new trial at Toronto University in Canada involving 50 patients, half will wear knee-length stockings during the day for two weeks and the other half will not.

Doctors will evaluate the overnight change in leg and neck fluid volumes, levels of daytime sleepiness and alertness, plus overall quality of life.

Commenting on the research, Andrew Mc-Combe, an ear, nose and throat surgeon at Frimley Park Hospital, Surrey, said: ‘This is an interesting idea and the hypothesis seems sensible, too.

'Of course, a lot of people with significant apnoea are overweight and not very mobile, so fluid accumulation through the day is more likely in this group.

‘Whether the fluid moves to the neck at night when they are asleep is not known for sure, and clearly this idea is untested, hence the need for this study. I would be interested to see the outcome.
'If it is successful, then it is a simple manoeuvre to implement.’

Meanwhile, scientists have revealed that sleep apnoea increases cravings for carbohydrates. U.S. researchers studied 55 patients and found cravings for carbs such as biscuits and bread were twice as likely among those with the condition.

Half of the patients had type 2 diabetes, and the research showed that those with diabetes and sleep apnoea have an even greater risk of carb cravings.

Previous research suggested that type 2 sufferers often crave carbs and the scientists wanted to investigate whether this was linked to the sleep condition.

The findings, presented at a recent conference hosted by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, suggests a link.

The researchers were unclear why sleep apnoea would trigger these cravings, but one theory is that waking repeatedly, a characteristic symptom of the condition, can disrupt levels of hormones that regulate hunger.

This could lead to the body craving food that will give a high energy boost, such as bread, sweets and pasta.

DC

RE: Wearing Stockings (Is it True?)
Sounds like bull hockey pucks.

When they do a study with more than 12 patients, then I will stop laughing.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

(08-08-2012, 10:38 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Sounds like bull hockey pucks.

When they do a study with more than 12 patients, then I will stop laughing.

Im still trying to decide what colour and what denier, any thoughts Laugh-a-lot

It's just so hard to find sexy stockings like that for guys of my size.

Do you realize Mrs. Robinson would be 80 years old now?

While we shouldn't throw away our CPAPs yet, the idea is not as dumb as it sounds. There's a lot of feedback in the body and edema (water retention) in the legs is related to a lot of other things in the body in general.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
In my study of one, I have worn compression socks daily for over a year now and haven't seen any noticeable change in my OSA. When I fall asleep in my recliner in the evening I still wake up gasping for air, and this is in a sitting position. Can't speak to sleeping in bed, as I always use my machine there, but I haven't seen any significant change in my numbers, FWIW.
It could very easily be that certain apneacs have something that is related to water retention, etc. and some don't.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
We now have a study of two. I have worn compression stockings to prevent blood from pooling in my feet for over five years and I still have sleep apnea. In fact the sleep apnea may have caused the high blood pressure that caused the Peripheral artery disease in the first place. Maybe if we wear compression stockings at night when we sleep.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

(08-12-2012, 12:21 PM)Cutter Wrote: We now have a study of two. I have worn compression stockings to prevent blood from pooling in my feet for over five years and I still have sleep apnea. In fact the sleep apnea may have caused the high blood pressure that caused the Peripheral artery disease in the first place. Maybe if we wear compression stockings at night when we sleep.

FOR THE PAST 2 NIGHTS, I have worn knee high compression stockings and for the past 2 nights, my AHI is below 1 which is highly unusual. I don't retain fluid (I drink a lot of water daily). I realize that this is just 2 days and 1 person and I am not saying the stockings have contributed to this as I don't know that. It is the only thing that has changed in my sleep patterns. I keep experimenting with ways to stay off of my back without the use of tennis balls. I don't want to have to use a t-shirt rather than my normal sleeping gear.

I took a nap for 1.4 hours and AHI was 0. Went to bed later and slept 2 hours on my side and AHI was .5. Went back to sleep and the total hours are now 6 and AHI is .6. Time will see if the pattern continues.

This is really interesting. I used to wear thigh high compression stockings b/c when it was 115 degrees outside, I would have some a small amount of puffiness around my ankles. I don't have PAD, am not diabetic and I don't crave carbs.

Actually, I don't have much of an appetite at all which is part of my problem b/c I know I am supposed to eat and I eat food and because I am not really hungry I eat what I feel like is too much food.

For example, today I had a fiber one bar, later I had 1 pop tart b/c I wanted a sweet treat (I feel once in a while is okay even though pop tarts are not healthy and at least I chose blueberry lol), a very small bowl of cereal with a very small banana later on and then for the evening meal, had mac and cheese and was miserably full after eating all of this throughout the day. I had 2 cups of coffee and the rest of the time I drank water. I do tend to eat food that is easier to eat and I am not fond of beef, pork, etc.

I think tomorrow I am going to start back on my breakfast drink of fat free milk and several types of fruit (usually blueberries, strawberries and a small banana) flax seed and flax seed liquid and whatever else I have been putting in my breakfast drink and start back on my vitamins.

Anyway, interesting article. I don't know if it is accurate or not that fluid may have something to do with sleep apnea but I can see how fluid might cause some issues within our body.
It seems to me you would have to wear the compression stocking over your head and neck to deal effectively the OSA.
I suspect one night would prevent any future apnea events.
(08-12-2012, 12:21 PM)Cutter Wrote: We now have a study of two. I have worn compression stockings to prevent blood from pooling in my feet for over five years and I still have sleep apnea. In fact the sleep apnea may have caused the high blood pressure that caused the Peripheral artery disease in the first place. Maybe if we wear compression stockings at night when we sleep.

the stockings aren't going to cure apnea. wish it were that simple

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Haven't been able to fall asleep wearing biPAP AlgebraicMisery 1 240 02-17-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 418 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Can you tell if these are true CAs and OAs? Kathy14225 24 1,349 11-08-2023, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AHI total average vs true AHI graphed hourly average Jessher 9 737 10-23-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Are the machine AHI numbers accurate? 92 to 2 seems too good to be true? apoleary 5 665 06-27-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Mask prices to good to be true ?? sauerkraut 11 1,034 03-25-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,807 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.