Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wearing Stockings (Is it True?)
RE: Wearing Stockings (Is it True?)
FOR THE PAST 2 NIGHTS, I have worn knee high compression stockings and for the past 2 nights, my AHI is below 1 which is highly unusual. I don't retain fluid (I drink a lot of water daily). I realize that this is just 2 days and 1 person and I am not saying the stockings have contributed to this as I don't know that. It is the only thing that has changed in my sleep patterns. I keep experimenting with ways to stay off of my back without the use of tennis balls. I don't want to have to use a t-shirt rather than my normal sleeping gear.

I took a nap for 1.4 hours and AHI was 0. Went to bed later and slept 2 hours on my side and AHI was .5. Went back to sleep and the total hours are now 6 and AHI is .6. Time will see if the pattern continues.

My results for last night are as follows. I took a nap for 2.4 hours approximately. My sleep was for 9.42 hours including my nap. AHI was .2 and that was hypopneas leak rate at 95% was 0 maximum 76.8 (yikes) median pressure 15.4 maximum 19.6
Wearing Stockings (Is it True?)
Don't dismiss the idea too quickly.

Heart conditions effect the accumulation of fluid in the legs, and fluid in the legs affects the heart and blood flow. The heart affects breathing, and vice versa. Fluid accumulation in the legs affects hydration.

All these things affect the nervous system and hormones.

I'm not saying it's going to be the replacement for CPAP, but it wouldn't be surprising if it helps the general medical condition of some people with certain conditions, and affects the apnea in some people.

Especially if you have swelling in the legs, try some stockings. It might help your health in general.

I was getting swelling in my legs at one time, and I found out changing the chair I sit in made a big difference. It's probably worse in my case, since I sleep in a recliner most of the time.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
(10-04-2013, 07:17 AM)archangle Wrote: Don't dismiss the idea too quickly.

Heart conditions effect the accumulation of fluid in the legs, and fluid in the legs affects the heart and blood flow. The heart affects breathing, and vice versa. Fluid accumulation in the legs affects hydration.

All these things affect the nervous system and hormones.

I'm not saying it's going to be the replacement for CPAP, but it wouldn't be surprising if it helps the general medical condition of some people with certain conditions, and affects the apnea in some people.

Especially if you have swelling in the legs, try some stockings. It might help your health in general.

I was getting swelling in my legs at one time, and I found out changing the chair I sit in made a big difference. It's probably worse in my case, since I sleep in a recliner most of the time.

exactly my point and well said. As far as I know, I don't have any heart conditions but the fact that for 2 nights, my AHI has been the best that it has been when I wore knee high stockings is very encouraging to me. I do agree that it won't cure apnea but if it helps, great. I am going to download my data into the software today and see what it shows.
FYI? If you wear compression hose, you can still wear regular socks too. So if you wear long pants all is good. Due to heart issues, I wore compression hose daily for almost five years (didn't help my sleep apnea though)
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
(10-04-2013, 11:49 AM)Peter_C Wrote: FYI? If you wear compression hose, you can still wear regular socks too. So if you wear long pants all is good. Due to heart issues, I wore compression hose daily for almost five years (didn't help my sleep apnea though)

or wear light color thigh hi's. I see men all the time with the white ones on with a pair of shorts. Last night I slept 7.55 hours with .6 AHI. Leak rate max 27.6 with 95% leak rate of 27.6. .5 hypopnea and .1 central. not too bad
The sample is too small to have any significant information, but certainly it should be looked at - I would doubt that it would be of help for the bulk of OSA sufferers, but there may be some that it will do something for - give it a shot, and see. If it helps, great, if it doesn't, no biggie - your main help, the CPAP is already at hand.

I do suspect, though, that using a CPAP would obviate the effect of the stockings. Still, no harm trying, eh? At least it doesn't cost much and is not harmful to you, other than your fashion sense.
(10-04-2013, 05:49 PM)DocWils Wrote: The sample is too small to have any significant information, but certainly it should be looked at - I would doubt that it would be of help for the bulk of OSA sufferers, but there may be some that it will do something for - give it a shot, and see. If it helps, great, if it doesn't, no biggie - your main help, the CPAP is already at hand.

I do suspect, though, that using a CPAP would obviate the effect of the stockings. Still, no harm trying, eh? At least it doesn't cost much and is not harmful to you, other than your fashion sense.

well, if wearing them at night then not too many will see the fashion side of it, at least not for most people. Knowing me, if I wore them out in public with shorts on, I would fix them up and make a fashion statement lol
(10-02-2013, 10:30 PM)bwexler Wrote: It seems to me you would have to wear the compression stocking over your head and neck to deal effectively the OSA.
I suspect one night would prevent any future apnea events.

ROFL Dielaughing
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
(10-04-2013, 08:05 PM)me50 Wrote: well, if wearing them at night then not too many will see the fashion side of it, at least not for most people. Knowing me, if I wore them out in public with shorts on, I would fix them up and make a fashion statement lol

I must have misread the article - somehow I had the impression they were referring to daytime use of the stockings. Simply wearing them at night would not have sufficient effect, if for no other reason, the fluid compression and transfer would be insufficient time-wise - it takes a lot of time to decompress the gathered fluid from the lower extremities. However, day time wearing would help prevent the excess fluid form gathering in the legs in the first place. At night, when you are horizontal, the effect, so far as I understood, was that the fluid, pooled in the lower extremities, then redistributes upward, causing swelling in the throat tissues. I must have misunderstood....

(10-05-2013, 03:59 AM)DocWils Wrote:
(10-04-2013, 08:05 PM)me50 Wrote: well, if wearing them at night then not too many will see the fashion side of it, at least not for most people. Knowing me, if I wore them out in public with shorts on, I would fix them up and make a fashion statement lol

I must have misread the article - somehow I had the impression they were referring to daytime use of the stockings. Simply wearing them at night would not have sufficient effect, if for no other reason, the fluid compression and transfer would be insufficient time-wise - it takes a lot of time to decompress the gathered fluid from the lower extremities. However, day time wearing would help prevent the excess fluid form gathering in the legs in the first place. At night, when you are horizontal, the effect, so far as I understood, was that the fluid, pooled in the lower extremities, then redistributes upward, causing swelling in the throat tissues. I must have misunderstood....

I don't think you misunderstood; they are talking about wearing the stockings during the day. when it is a more decent hour, I will reply more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Haven't been able to fall asleep wearing biPAP AlgebraicMisery 1 239 02-17-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 415 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Can you tell if these are true CAs and OAs? Kathy14225 24 1,344 11-08-2023, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AHI total average vs true AHI graphed hourly average Jessher 9 733 10-23-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Are the machine AHI numbers accurate? 92 to 2 seems too good to be true? apoleary 5 665 06-27-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Mask prices to good to be true ?? sauerkraut 11 1,033 03-25-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,804 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.