Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wearing mask with a Cold
RE: Wearing mask with a Cold
The early stages of a cold don't interfere with with my CPAP therapy but I usually don't use my CPAP when I have a cough. My biggest asthma trigger is the cold virus so once I get a cold my asthma blows up. I find that I usually only get 3 to 4 hours sleep under those circumstances and that CPAP is not usable. The couple of nights a year I get that condition I spend the night dozing in my lounge chair so my wife can get some sleep. This year I lost 4 night CPAP treatment through that.

Still - a lot depends on the severity of one's OSA and other conditions and the ultimate guide and advice must come from your doctor.

By the way - although I am sure it is fairly common knowledge it is worth saying that a cold is not Influenza (AKA the flu), and Influenza vaccinations do not protect from the common cold.

I have had flu vaccinations for the last 10 years and have not had the flu in that time, although I usually get one cold a year.

USEFUL INFORMATION for those in OZ.
In Australia at least the standard practice is to vaccinate people with compromised respiratory systems against influenza. The eligible conditions include Asthma, COPD and OSA as well as some other diseases. These folk are eligible for free flu vaccinations through their local GP.
(The script is paid for by the government but the doctors must still be paid for the consultation if they don't 'Bulk Bill'. The saving is about $25 and the GP has the vaccine in stock saving you a trip to the Chemist.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2013, 11:25 PM)Moriarty Wrote: The early stages of a cold don't interfere with with my CPAP therapy but I usually don't use my CPAP when I have a cough. My biggest asthma trigger is the cold virus so once I get a cold my asthma blows up. I find that I usually only get 3 to 4 hours sleep under those circumstances and that CPAP is not usable. The couple of nights a year I get that condition I spend the night dozing in my lounge chair so my wife can get some sleep. This year I lost 4 night CPAP treatment through that.

Still - a lot depends on the severity of one's OSA and other conditions and the ultimate guide and advice must come from your doctor.

By the way - although I am sure it is fairly common knowledge it is worth saying that a cold is not Influenza (AKA the flu), and Influenza vaccinations do not protect from the common cold.

I have had flu vaccinations for the last 10 years and have not had the flu in that time, although I usually get one cold a year.

USEFUL INFORMATION for those in OZ.
In Australia at least the standard practice is to vaccinate people with compromised respiratory systems against influenza. The eligible conditions include Asthma, COPD and OSA as well as some other diseases. These folk are eligible for free flu vaccinations through their local GP.
(The script is paid for by the government but the doctors must still be paid for the consultation if they don't 'Bulk Bill'. The saving is about $25 and the GP has the vaccine in stock saving you a trip to the Chemist.)

The last flu shot I got was in 2011 along with a pneumonia shot. I decided not to do it again and haven't been worse for the wear because of it. It would be interesting to see why this shot would be beneficial for those with OSA. I will do a little checking on that. If anyone has an explanation as to how this can help OSA (or even asthma/COPD, please share).
Post Reply Post Reply
I just had a week-long cold. I used a saline nose spray about half an hour before bed and took zinc cough drops. I bumped the humidity half a click. I had more disturbed sleep, as sometimes my nose ran into the nasal pillows and awakened me. But judging from my SleepyHead reports, I didn't open my mouth to breathe. I slept more hours, as I usually do when I am sick. I hope you can keep your CPAP on if at all possible. Hang in there...colds seem to last a week no matter what we do.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2013, 12:13 AM)me50 Wrote: If anyone has an explanation as to how this can help OSA (or even asthma/COPD, please share).

http://www.flusmart.org.au/about-the-flu/

The interesting statistic here is that the flu kills a couple of thousand people a year in Australia. The older one is, and the sicker one is from some other condition, then the higher the risk from the flu.

This site does not explicitly include OSA as a risk factor - but my doctor does on the basis the untreated OSA is thought to attenuate general immune response....
In my case however I also have Asthma that can be severe when I have other respiratory infections.

I am happy to accept the doctors advice in this.
Post Reply Post Reply
My ENT hooked me up with this about 12 years ago, it's called "ALKALOL" - it's a "soothing nasal wash mucus solvent and cleaner".

Fill a dixie cup half full of hot water, then top it off with this, and use a baby squeeze bulb to squirt it up your nose - I tend to hold it there for as long as I can to let it work, run back down tubes, etc - then spit, cough, and gag it out. Rinse and repeat til the cup is empty.

You can use this as often as you want (I was told), and it really helps me when I am plugged up. Be sure to use it hours before bed, as you will drip for an hour or two after using it. It is kind of hard to find sometimes...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
When I fill my VPAP humidifier with distilled water, I add some VICKS type humidifier liquid also. I've on occasion, added too much and had to make sure I have the hose to the mask removed when turned on to blow out the initial "blast" of menthol vapor. But helps tremendously with breathing. Generally, between a teaspoon and tablespoon works well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Newbomb Turk, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Go easy on the zinc lozenges and zinc cold products. They have been known to destroy one's sense of taste.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2013, 08:20 PM)Zorki1c Wrote: CPAP helps me survive a cold or flu. With the humidifier it keeps my stuffy airway open and keeps me from coughing. When I'm sick is when it does me the most good. My wife agrees and she has been on CPAP for years.
I am finishing up my first cold while on CPAP. I can't agree with you more Zorl1c. It helped me considerably breathing.
I was dreading getting a cold and had bad thoughts about being on the machine with one, but it was all good.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Haven't been able to fall asleep wearing biPAP AlgebraicMisery 1 240 02-17-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 416 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,211 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Wearing CPAP for 9 months but no improvement nick64 6 737 06-04-2022, 05:54 PM
Last Post: nick64

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.