Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weather Sites
While tracking this evenings storms at my favorite site NOAA radar, I got to wondering what everyone else uses to track storms in their neck-of-the-woods.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINIONS ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY STATEMENTS OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Use this several times per day. I have to!!!
Mother Nature is a Lady..She can change her mind whenever she wants!!!Laugh-a-lot

Canada

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
wunderground has a pretty good site. I use it for hurricanes too.

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Weather Underground (wunderground). Been with them forever. I remember when their site was just text statements. Excellent group.

Their app for the iOS was so-so due to small screen (used it on my 4gen iPod Touch). But their Android version is much better since the screen is bigger (Galaxy S3).

Other apps I have used:
Wx Alert USA is by far the best for iOS. Excellent alert system.
Pro Weather Alert for Android is great, too. They handle repeat warnings better (goes off for just the first and not again unless the warning changes) but I'd drop them in a heartbeat if Wx Alert USA made an Android version.
Local station's weather app are also good, if they maintain it right.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
On my Mac, I use the local NBC affiliate for local (to me) weather.

On my iPhone, I use the following apps:

Weather Underground (Not too bad interface. Sometimes the "Feels Like" temperature is WWWaaaayyyyyy off.) Here is a recent example.
[Image: 4f61dfdd-78ff-4e56-b60a-e8e4a34d4913_zps13599813.jpg]
AccuWeather (Like the "RealFeel" temperature)
The Weather Channel Max (I use the paid version of this so I get future radar as well. )
Weather On (Windows 8 type interface)
Weather Magic (Nice interface with everything in one place.)
Weather Genie
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use intellicast when going through a browser and use the accuweather wigit on my phone.
Post Reply Post Reply

My husband faithfully follows the weather.gov which I believe is NOAA. He originally wanted to be in the weather unit when he enlisted. He keeps me updated. During our next big storm I'll have him also look at wunderground and compare the two sites.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a "home page" HTML file that I created for my desktop and laptop. It reloads automatically every 120 seconds and has the links of most places I visit regularly, news sites, weather, etc. and I have a radar map that is embedded on the page.

I use a graphic map from weather.com, and I set it up so that when I click on it, it goes to a looping radar map for my area on accuweather.com.

I also use a couple of apps on my cell phone for weather... can't remember what the name is but it comes with Android and it has weather on my home page that also has news stories when you touch it. I also use "Rainy Days" as a radar app.

My dad, being a former pilot, uses http://www.aviationweather.gov which gives a plethora of information, but much of it uses language and terms that only pilots would understand.

Heck, sometimes I risk my own life and go outside and look up at the sky too. But that's for those of us who like to live on the edge. Bigwink Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are technogeeky and want to really get into it, the thing to use is not a web site, but a program that downloads the NWS radar data and displays it in various form without waiting for the web site to update, to change from one view to another, to animate, zoom to your location, etc.

These are the radar tools to figure out "where is the tornado/storm and is it going to hit my house?" You need some geek cred to really understand and use them well.

Grlevelx is the primo program in several versions. It's a commercial web site, so you'll have to Google it yourself.

Grlevel3 sells for $80 and is easiest to use. There is a 21 day trial version.

Grlevel2 has better and and more detailed data, but the "level 2" data is a little more complicated to acquire. Many GR2 users pay for access to the data from a commercial site.

On Android, there is Pykl3, which has similar advantages for watching the radar, but it just can't compare to grlevelx in terms of usability due to screen size and other limitiations.

The free, online NWS (National Weather Service) site with similar radar data is: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge2/ridgenew2/

The free NWS site displays a lot less data than the "offline" tools like Grlevel3. It doesn't display some of the newer more techno dual polariziation radar products. It's also much slower, especially during weather events to scroll or animate due to requiring on the web server, not your computer to display stuff.
Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photobucket to Charge $400 to Link Images to Non-Photobucket Sites Crimson Nape 25 1,620 07-13-2017, 04:20 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Exclaimation Godaddy sites all DOWN... DNS issues [Sept 10, 2012] SuperSleeper 12 4,812 10-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Last Post: Duckdog58
  Bad Weather Dreamcatcher 6 2,543 05-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2