Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weight Gain on CPAP
Weight Gain on CPAP
Has anyone had a weight gain on CPAP usage over one and two years? I recently read an article that states that most people experience weight gain after using CPAP equipment for more than one year.  In essence, it's because less calories are expended during a good solid sleep than when a patient was experiencing apnea events. With that in mind, besides reducing calorie intake, how do you combat the extra weight gain?  Your thoughts? 

I've gained ten pounds since CPAP usage and haven't changed my eating pattern.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weight Gain on CPAP
Try taking a walk or some other form of moderate exercise 30 minutes at least 5 days a week. It will help speed up your metabolism.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have no idea what the mechanism or change is that could claim to be the cause of weight gain, which has afflicted me to the tune of 4 kg since April.  It could be less stress due to less arousal, and therefor less metabolic activity in general.  It adds up.

You have only two options since this is basic chemistry/physics: decrease intake or increase output.  That's it.  You body can't make mass out of water and oxygen.  It can only do that with matter that it ingests, meaning you are eating more than your body can use and it stores what's left.  Or, you have decreased your activity in general (from fidgeting all the way to moving your corpus over distance over time, and that's everything from rolling over in bed to lifting oneself off the chair/floor to walking or playing sports/running).

I'm trying to be scrupulously honest with myself; when my body wears out, where will I live?!?  So, now that I agree to be honest, my activity level was less than that of the past decade this summer.  Don't know exactly why, but I know for a fact that I cycled less, used the paddleboard quite a bit less, and didn't run quite so much.  I'm slower for one thing because of rate control medicine to keep my AFib in check.  Again......it all adds up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a dog........my doggie in the photo has done wonders for me getting out and about each day :-)

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply
I weight a healthy 70kg , i used to 45-55. Me happy. Anyway When i had my tonsils removed and couldnt swallow without pain i lost 15kg, maybe do a fast for a week, after consulting your doctor. Should get you off 5kg easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
i seriously, seriously doubt there is any causal relationship. I consider it a silly hypothesis. Unless I don't want to take responsibility for being fat and want to blame it on an inanimate object. IN the word of Jon Lovitz's Pathological lLiar character, "Yeeeeeaaaahhhhh.... THAT"S the ticket!"

Think diet drugs. "People that took diet drug Elpooplium will have a 1.6 times greater risk of heart disease." It is not because they take Elpooplium, it is because people that take Elpooplium are fat and fat people have higher rates of heart disease. The drug is not the cause of heart disease.

If there was any kind of research (statistical analysis) behind the claim that CPAP users gain more weight than non CPAP users, guess what? As a population, CPAP users are probably more fat than than non-CPAP users. That would kind of say that they probably have worse eating habits and poorer exercise habits in general than the general population as a whole. Guess what? That makes us fatter and more prone to continue getting fatter as we age, as a group. CPAP use is merely coincidental.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Being overweight and obesity is a hormonal disease and not a simple calorie in calorie out model that our food + pharma industry likes is to believe.

CPAP does change a lot of your hormonal levels including leptin, grehlin, insulin and such. And there is a transitory period between your pre cpap days and when these hormone levels finally reach their steady circadian levels.

This causes a lot of people to gain weight. I did pack up 10+ lbs when I got only cpap in the first 2 years. I had not changed my diet or exercise at all.

After that, I went on a 17/7 IF pattern which has brought my weight down to pre cpap levels. I have never been successful with portion control strategies that are peddled with the CICO model. IF did the trick for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2018, 10:56 AM)Zhash Wrote: I've gained ten pounds since CPAP usage and haven't changed my eating pattern.

I started eating more when I started using a CPAP machine, and I gained weight.

In the last several months I've been eating less and I've been losing weight.

I think the issue is attitude. When I started using CPAP I started feeling better, my health improved a lot, and I thought, not so much that I deserved a reward for this accomplishment, but that I deserved to not have to deprive myself.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is also talk "out there" that getting a good night's sleep will help in your dieting and weight loss. Google "weight gain and lack of sleep". I only know because I've also heard it on the radio. "You are gaining weight because you aren't getting a good night's sleep."

Which is the opposite of what you said!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 149 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 271 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can high loop gain be changed? NoddingHacker 2 391 01-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,314 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 694 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 557 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Weight loss Nsmon1313 3 597 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.