Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: 6
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
Weight Loss
I've been wondering about weight and apnea. I know obesity increases apnea (and being chronically sleep deprived probably contributes to weight gain).

I started all this needing to lose a good 60 lbs. I'm down 16 lb (slow and steady!). Also, they measured my neck both in the office and at the sleep study. It is 14.5 inches. Is that bad for a woman?? I don't think my neck size will change much with weight loss...

Anyways, what are people experiences? How much weight did you need to lose before noticing a difference? And what is a "normal" neck size? Will loosing enough weight "fix" me? That would be great!

Just curious. Obviously weight lose is good regardless, but it sure would be an added bonus if it also cured the apnea...
03-07-2015 12:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Weight Loss
Weight loss is great, but rarely results in a sufficient improvement in sleep apnea to leave the machine behind. There have been cases of pressure requirements changing and even increasing with weight loss. Unless you had a mild case to start with, you'd be better off to look forward to looking better at the pool than losing the mask at night. Hope it works out for you anyway. There are always a few exceptions.

03-07-2015 12:55 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

I too need to lose some weight. Thanks to a nice little place called "Angelo's Italy," I actually need to lose a little more now than I did a week ago.

Yes, weight lose can do wonderful things for us. In my case if I lost about 20 or 30 pounds, or 10 even, I would breath easier. That would be a good thing.

But it probably wouldn't resolve my apnea. And frankly, I'm not sure I would want to give up my cute little machine in any case. For me, the security of having nice, comfy air delivered on a regular basis while I'm asleep is just too nice to think about giving up.

So yeah, try to drop some pounds. Your cute little body will feel much better and you'll be rightly very proud of yourself for getting that done. But continue to embrace and love the therapy. It's an amazing thing we are doing for our bodies.

p.s. Stay away from "Angelo's Italy."
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2015 12:59 PM by retired_guy.)
03-07-2015 12:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mr. Van Winkle Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: Airsense
CPAP Pressure: 9 -15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

(03-07-2015 12:58 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  I too need to lose some weight. Thanks to a nice little place called "Angelo's Italy," I actually need to lose a little more now than I did a week ago.

Yes, weight lose can do wonderful things for us. In my case if I lost about 20 or 30 pounds, or 10 even, I would breath easier. That would be a good thing.

But it probably wouldn't resolve my apnea. And frankly, I'm not sure I would want to give up my cute little machine in any case. For me, the security of having nice, comfy air delivered on a regular basis while I'm asleep is just too nice to think about giving up.

So yeah, try to drop some pounds. Your cute little body will feel much better and you'll be rightly very proud of yourself for getting that done. But continue to embrace and love the therapy. It's an amazing thing we are doing for our bodies.

p.s. Stay away from "Angelo's Italy."

Same here I could stand to lose a ton of weight myself , but after using Cpap machine for 3 months now, I wish I had started this 10 years ago, I too really enjoy a solid air flow through the night and not waking up chocking.
Sleep-well
03-07-2015 01:30 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

I have not lost an ounce - in fact I may have found yours and picked em up.... (grumble grumble) I have been on cpap for 4 mo now. Congrats on losing some Smile

I had hoped some would magically fall off, but they have not - silly me made several changes all at once, one was to reduce levothyroxine (bc of atrial tachy) just got tsh checked again and its all the way up to 5.7. yipe. low thyroid could def account for picking up lbs. hope getting that under ctrl along with the apnea gives me a second chance at the weight-loss lottery!!!

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
03-07-2015 01:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Well, after my weekend last week I was going to recommend a road-trip to Bandon on the Beach for you. But now,,,,,, oh what the heck, go girl!
03-07-2015 01:51 PM
snowdrop Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: REMstar Pro C-Flex+

Other Comments:

(03-07-2015 12:55 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  Weight loss is great, but rarely results in a sufficient improvement in sleep apnea to leave the machine behind. There have been cases of pressure requirements changing and even increasing with weight loss. Unless you had a mild case to start with, you'd be better off to look forward to looking better at the pool than losing the mask at night. Hope it works out for you anyway. There are always a few exceptions.

So much for wishful thinking!

My AHI was 26 untreated... moderate is what the doc said...

My machine is at a fixed pressure. How often does that need to be reassessed then? Or after how much weight loss/gain? My AHI are consistently below 1 with treatment.
03-07-2015 02:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
snowdrop Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(03-07-2015 12:58 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  But it probably wouldn't resolve my apnea. And frankly, I'm not sure I would want to give up my cute little machine in any case. For me, the security of having nice, comfy air delivered on a regular basis while I'm asleep is just too nice to think about giving up.

My machine is great because it helps me feel so much better, but if I could successfully breath and sleep without it... I would in a heartbeat! Maybe mine isn't as cute as yours Smile
03-07-2015 02:29 PM
snowdrop Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(03-07-2015 01:47 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  I had hoped some would magically fall off, but they have not - silly me made several changes all at once, one was to reduce levothyroxine (bc of atrial tachy) just got tsh checked again and its all the way up to 5.7. yipe. low thyroid could def account for picking up lbs. hope getting that under ctrl along with the apnea gives me a second chance at the weight-loss lottery!!!

Yep me too! I hoped I would sleep better and magically start running marathons :die laughing: Alas, I have not.
03-07-2015 02:35 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi snowdrop,
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss.
The reason I don't want to give up my machine is that since I have been using it, I haven't had any nosebleeds during the winter because of the humidifier, I use it year-round to prevent them.

trish6hundred
03-07-2015 02:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Weight Loss harmon k 13 381 Yesterday 03:39 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Memory Loss Newbee2016 22 731 11-25-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  [Symptoms] weight gain and swelling doll 6 403 09-08-2016 10:45 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Cure OSA Weith Weight Loss? GingerMan512 5 430 08-10-2016 10:31 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Weight loss and CPAP pressure settings cate1898 16 1,737 06-11-2016 08:16 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  weight gain I_will_never_sleep_again 10 1,139 03-22-2016 09:51 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question [Health] WEIGHT LOSS AND SURGERY ON ADENOIDS joanieb69 3 540 02-21-2016 10:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider